• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Johnson 25hp Motor?

joneshat11

Question

Question for the motor heads. I have a Johnson Motor with the Model No. 20BA 76E. Now I called Robbinsdale Marine a Johnson dealer and the guy said its a 1976 20hp motor according to the model number (sound right to me). Now what my question is that it has a 25hp hood on it and also if you look up the model no. of Johnson motors, Johnson did not make a 20hp motor in 1976. The motor is bigger in size than say my dad's 20hp late 60's johnson motor. It also has a starter on it. What do you guys think it is?

5 answers to this question

It's tough to say without seeing motor. They could have changed cowl (lost original and found only one for 25hp) or they could have replaced transom/steering mount (old one did break/worn/etc) leaving serial and model # of 25hp.
Good thing is....if it runs fine and does the job, just use it
Bad thing is...if you need parts you have to take it to a dealer to show.

According to my Johnson model year guide Johnson did make a 20 hp in 1976. Any dealer should be able to find you what you need. It is likely that someone replaced the hood. You can also look on the block and there should be a quarter sized metel plug with the model or serial number on it and see if it matches.

------------------
Your next fish could be your biggest!!

Where is it located on the block as I looked around and couldn't find nothing else early that looked like a serial #. Is it under the fly wheel? Oh yeah I do need a part though as it was my grandfathers and the prop is pretty much tore up. (caught every weed possible while duck hunting)

Thanks for the responses guy's

[This message has been edited by joneshat11 (edited 03-13-2003).]