• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Edge2 vs. FL18

Markley

Question

2 answers to this question

Although the Edge is great the only really "True Real Time" locater is a flasher. This way the sound pulse that the transducer fires is decoded almost instantly. Versus a graph which takes that pulse and then goes about turning it into a pretty picture. Of course graphs are great for watching how the bottom contour is because it is definitely a lot easier to follow the bottom when it is a picture rather than a blinking light moving up and down. Hopefully that clears stuff up. If I'm wrong please feel free to add your info.

I'd have to agree, just for the main reason that you're comparing apples to oranges here. Each has it's time and place, but both will be in my boat come open water!

The flasher is true "real-time", that's why it excels for ice fishing. In open water, one would have to look at it constantly to see what's going on below. With a graph, you have a history of what you passed over, giving you a better picture as to the structure you are over.
For me, I will be using the edge for that purpose, as many other fishermen use their LCD's for the same reasons. The 18 will come in primarily for vertical jigging, or for slip bobbering for walters.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."