• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Morson Reports?

We have been up the past few weekends.  Walleye bite is very good - crappies, not so much.  Have focused on Walleyes but from the way it sounds the typical Crappie spots are not producing right now.  The Elbow doesn't seem to have many Crappies in there at all right now.  We were in there three weeks ago and did well but boats coming out of their in the past few weeks have had few, if any, Crappies.  Some boats have reported a half dozen or so and others zero fish.  Walleyes are in the typical Fall areas - current, deep holes, necked down areas. 

On Monday I found 8 inches on average only went as far as fish narrows. Not a lot of snow I didn't get a chance to fish. We got more snow in Roseau  on Wednesday so there maybe more snow on the lake. Plan on heading up to morson again Friday  will give another report . Next week plan on being at morson all week  fishing.

I have Been fishing out of morson the last couple days. Walleye fishing has been good. Definitely some rough ice in spots makes for slow going. I had lots of equipment problems. I didn't get to try as many spots as I wanted to. Looked for some crappies no luck.

20161230_142438.jpg

20170101_135517.jpg

20170101_140044.jpg

Edited by huntercj

We were up over the weekend, fished Friday to Sunday night with 4 guys between two houses. REALLY good fishing, my house averaged 11 walleyes/saugers per hour and the other two guys averaged 13/hour, totaling just under 500 fish for the 2.5 days between the two houses. Minnows under bobbers worked best but fish were hitting spoons too. Gold spoons worked best, red/pink jig under the bobber was best.  Found 15-17" of ice, decent amount of snow, sleds worked good. Snow was falling when we left Monday morning so not sure how much more was added since then. Good luck!

IMG_2685[1].JPG

IMG_2679[1].JPG

IMG_2686[1].JPG

We were up over the weekend, fished Friday to Sunday night with 4 guys between two houses. REALLY good fishing, my house averaged 11 walleyes/saugers per hour and the other two guys averaged 13/hour, totaling just under 500 fish for the 2.5 days between the two houses. Minnows under bobbers worked best but fish were hitting spoons too. Gold spoons worked best, red/pink jig under the bobber was best.  Found 15-17" of ice, decent amount of snow, sleds worked good. Snow was falling when we left Monday morning so not sure how much more was added since then. Good luck!

Fished Thursday Friday Saturday. Walleye action had its moments but it was tough to find a consistent bite.  Best depth for walleye was around 20' with frozen shiners and fatheads, jigging raps and spoons.   Its just flat out difficult to move around and search out the active biters when its that cold out. Crappies bit ok but we really had to work for them. Zero slush west of Morson. A few very small pockets between Morson and Nestor. We had a great group of guys that were able to tough it out in spite of the frigid temperatures!

20170106_184408.jpg

FB95IMG951483978449851.jpg

FB_IMG_1483978441890.jpg

FB95IMG951483978456686.jpg

FB_IMG_1483978618609.jpg

IMG951855.jpg

Slush, snow drifts, and fish.  That sums up a quick trip for me this past weekend.  Snowmobiling was rough but the fishing was great.  Our top speed while towing a sleigh was about 20 mph, and that was pushing it!  We fished a reef in 16 to 24 feet of water, and had the best luck from 17 to 19 feet using gold lead heads, a plain hook with crimp weight, and gold "Chubby Darters". 

I hope the area gets some more snow to level out the riding conditions on the lake.  I rode hovering above my seat as long as my legs could hold me and spent the rest of the ride getting bucked off my seat by endless snow drifts.  I feel like I was in a squat lifting competition all weekend.  BUT, the weather allowed us to fish all weekend without an ice house and move around to other ice holes that couldn't freeze over. 

It was another great trip, and I can't wait to get back! 

1-20-17 Walleyes 1.jpg

1-20-17 Ice Fishing.jpg

On the off chance there are still a few fish left in Morson we will be up tomorrow through Sunday and primarily fishing Kranz Jigs.  If anyone else is going up this week call or text me if you want to compare notes.  612-221-3475.  Ask for Mulcher.

FISH ON!

I am heading up there Presidents weekend as well. Unsure where we will be fishing exactly, hoping for a wide range of areas as well as species but it all depends on the weather and travel on the lake. Lungdeflator.....as far as distance you have to travel to get to fish, as far as you want. I have had great fishing within a mile of the landing in Morson and we have also traveled 15 miles. You can be on reefs within a few miles and shoreline structure even closer than that. Good luck and report how it goes, I will do the same.

Well maybe there are a few fish left in Morson after all. We just got back today having had great multispecies action and i didn't even get pics of the sauger, tullibee and rock bass. The good news is we had the best walleye bite we've ever had up there. Bad news is the travel conditions conditions are the worst we've ever seen with an average speed of 15 mph. Just when you think all your gear is 100% Lake of the Woods proof you find new ways to break stuff. Best walleye bite we found was on the reefs in 16-20'. It was crazy they would come in 2 or 3 at a time and hit the jigging rod and deadstick simultaneously. And did I mention all of these fish were caught on Kranz Jigs?

20170212_220427.jpg

20170211_174524.jpg

20170211_225941.jpg

20170212_220301.jpg

20170211_105242.jpg

20170211_161907.jpg

20170211_220908.jpg

20170209_195103.jpg

20170211_211556.jpg