• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for gsp pup

Down2Earth

gspman thanks for chiming in its good to see you here posting. I don't disagree with you either, and my gsp's are not close ranging dogs by any means. I am fully comfortable letting them run big. 50-60yards is nothing. Typically I would let them quarter and range much further than that as I often hunt by myself and they will hold point for me way out there with no issues. They cover all the ground not me.

But when I say I have seen FT dogs run  in the same brace with with my dogs there was no comparison they were well beyond those distances and it wasn't even close. granted we were using planted quail and not wild pheasants both dogs found the required number of birds and in some cases more.

again that doesn't make one better than the other, but I wouldn't want a dog that runs that big as one of my own as I don't think they would work for my hunting style which is 90% for pheasant. nor is that what the original poster was looking for.

I do hunt prairie chickens and sharptails here in SD but not near as much as I hunt pheasant and when we need to cover ground on the grasslands I will let them open it up even more to find the birds.