• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dfv87

Question

I have been wanting a new locator for over a year now and finally think I have what I want (in my mind). So the next questions is... Can I rig it myself or should I take it in somewhere? Now before I hear how "easy" it is... remember I calculate debt service ratios for a living (commercial banker) and do not own many tools to get this done (AKA mechanically challenged). Is this even something I could/should  try? or if I am wasting the money have it rigged right? I have some buddies to help but to be honest I am not sure if they could do it either? is this something I need a pro to do? 

I am on a budget for the whole project and would like to spend all the cash on the locator vs locator & installation...

Any advice is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Its not that hard and you should only need simple tools provide your boat has easy access to route the wiring for the transducer and power cable. The first thing you can do even in preparation before buying the new locator would be to inspect your current install to see if you could replicate that.

Example, your power cable routing, follow it to where its connected, if its to a "bus" bar or master power switch it will be as simple as stripping the new power cable wires and connecting at the current location. The routing of the transducer cable can get more difficult depending on the situation, but once you have it routed its super simple.

Reuse any holes you can from the prior transducer (if you do not plan to use it) make sure to put some real GOOD silicone in the screw holes before mounting to prevent water intrusion. Make sure the transducer is slightly below the hull of your boat, just barely. This will allow it to have good readings when going at high speeds and make sure its not behind rivets, etc that would create turbulence.

It isn't hard, and it can be very rewarding to do it yourself. Get the buds over and some beers and talk smart and it will be done in no time.

It is not difficult. However, I would recommend not doing it yourself if you've never done anything like this. After all, you are drilling holes in your boat. 

With that being said. When dealers "professionally" install the units they are normally completed by the summer high school student help. They have no idea what they are doing either but do have access to tools and help if needed. 

Again, it's not difficult but you sound hesitant before even starting. Maybe watch some transducer install YouTube videos and see if you think you can do it.

I have heard that Thorne bros does a good job.

Thanks I had a buddy of mine offer to show me how to install it, he upgrades boats every couple years I think so he has experience with changing electronics. Thx for the help everybody.