Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Question

I have been wanting a new locator for over a year now and finally think I have what I want (in my mind). So the next questions is... Can I rig it myself or should I take it in somewhere? Now before I hear how "easy" it is... remember I calculate debt service ratios for a living (commercial banker) and do not own many tools to get this done (AKA mechanically challenged). Is this even something I could/should  try? or if I am wasting the money have it rigged right? I have some buddies to help but to be honest I am not sure if they could do it either? is this something I need a pro to do? 

I am on a budget for the whole project and would like to spend all the cash on the locator vs locator & installation...

Any advice is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Its not that hard and you should only need simple tools provide your boat has easy access to route the wiring for the transducer and power cable. The first thing you can do even in preparation before buying the new locator would be to inspect your current install to see if you could replicate that.

Example, your power cable routing, follow it to where its connected, if its to a "bus" bar or master power switch it will be as simple as stripping the new power cable wires and connecting at the current location. The routing of the transducer cable can get more difficult depending on the situation, but once you have it routed its super simple.

Reuse any holes you can from the prior transducer (if you do not plan to use it) make sure to put some real GOOD silicone in the screw holes before mounting to prevent water intrusion. Make sure the transducer is slightly below the hull of your boat, just barely. This will allow it to have good readings when going at high speeds and make sure its not behind rivets, etc that would create turbulence.

It isn't hard, and it can be very rewarding to do it yourself. Get the buds over and some beers and talk smart and it will be done in no time.

It is not difficult. However, I would recommend not doing it yourself if you've never done anything like this. After all, you are drilling holes in your boat. 

With that being said. When dealers "professionally" install the units they are normally completed by the summer high school student help. They have no idea what they are doing either but do have access to tools and help if needed. 

Again, it's not difficult but you sound hesitant before even starting. Maybe watch some transducer install YouTube videos and see if you think you can do it.

I have heard that Thorne bros does a good job.

Thanks I had a buddy of mine offer to show me how to install it, he upgrades boats every couple years I think so he has experience with changing electronics. Thx for the help everybody.