• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mitch takes a couple

I finally had a chance to do some hunting with Mitchell. He's been busy with the girlfriend and work and hadn't been out more than a couple times with me. We always have a great time and this was no different.

We headed to a spot we hadn't hunted for two years, due to tall stubble two years ago and deep snow last year. The last time we hunted it we had three come in from the West and drop into a low spot that we didn't have a shot in. I told Mitch to head South of me and sit down along the fence line as soon as he found a spot that would let him cover that whole area. I was facing the field to the West. I looked south and couldn't see him but figured he had it covered. I started the call and played several sequences with no response. After 50 minutes I hear something behind me I turn on the caller and hear some running. I'm trying to look over my left shoulder when I hear Mitch shoot, I keep calling for a few minutes and go collect the caller. I walk over to where he was and see him down walking through the draw. After a 80 yard tracking job we recover his dog. Another disappointing runner from the 55 gr VMAX, his shots look good right behind the shoulder but keep getting runners.

So we wrap up the pictures and head down the road to another spot. The moon was going down and figured we had one more set so we walked into a plowed field which is really flat with no chance to get any elevation advantage and set up together on the West side of the field. I started the caller and after 5 minutes Mitch says there's one to the left. I'm looking but can't see a thing, he starts getting into position and I still can't see anything. He shoots and then says it's down. We get up and go retrieve his coyote. It's 50 yards away and dropped at the shot. His VMAX blew a big hole in the far shoulder. I need to reload him some new rounds, those things are not working well on these things.

Rob

imagejpg1_zps4b0af889.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse7c15350.jpg

Josh,

I can tell you the Hornady 55 grain Vmax's in .223 that my son use's don't work the best. A lot of tore up animals, big holes and runners. Which seems hard to believe but you should see some of the blood trails and holes we get with a seemingly perfect shot. My little 17 Remington's seem to be the best that I've seen so far. I loaded up some 22-250 rounds up for one of my other guns with 55 grain hollow points,

52 grain Amax's and some Sierra 55 grain HPBT's #1365 which from what I read should be a good one.

After I get done reloading for my 17's Mitchell's .223 will be the next one we find a load for. The plan is to load the 55 grain #1365's and some 60 grain HPs and see if either of them will do a better job.

Rob

rob, Have you ever heard of James Calhoon bullets? the HSOforum is jamescalhoon.com.... but he has a 52gr double hollow point... I have not tried these yet... but I have been told they are the cats meow for pelt rounds... you have to order the bullets right off his wed site...

unfortunately my 22-250 was shooting about 4" groups out of the box, so it went back... and i am waiting for that to return... and had to borrow a 223 for our trip...