• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Steelhead, Salmon and Brown Report- Brule River

Cool video! Love watching those.

Luckily I haven't been bothered by too many low holers. But I'm young and able to walk long distances so I tend to stay away from the crowds. But in time I'm sure that will change.

As water continues to drop and clear those riffle / run areas become very marginal IMO. Making congestion in holes a little more. I wouldn't mind a little flow increase to around 200, lots more fishable water for everyone and spreads those fish out.

Good luck this weekend!

Ted (Ted J?),

No doubt we've both had our share of guys "fishing in our back pocket". If I'm fishing my way up a pool or run, I don't have a problem with a guy dropping in behind me(at more than a drift's distance), but stepping in directly ahead of me, or my direction of travel is, well, just baaaad etiquette. Unfortunately, with the growth of the sport, too many up and comers and yung'uns haven't had the luxury of a mentor to guide them.

Readers, If you're new to the game, most seasoned vets are more than happy to explain what/how they're doing, if you ask them politely and don't come stomping into their drift. The Brule, with it's 30 miles of water, isn't the NorthShore, so please don't try and pack a hole with a half dozen guys without their OK. A vet might be catching a lot of fish while you aren't. It may not be the hole he's fishing. It may just be experience, so don't crowd him thinking that "he's on the fish". More than once I was crowded out and left to where the crowders came from only to continue hooking fish.

I've been a lurker here for a while...figured it was time to contribute a bit. The other "Steelhead Site" that I frequent is slowly dying. Lot's of lenroot ledges types on their killing peoples fun if you catch my drift.

After some tough fishing in late September and early October I had some good action this week. I hooked into 4-7 steelhead each of my 3 times out. The flows and temp were lovely, as was my new centerpin set-up. I have done well in the past as a fly fisherman, but this new rig is deadly - even with the same flies and egg patterns I would use on my switch rod. I actually tried the pink worms, jigs with waxies, and some spawn sacs I bought at the bait box in Superior, but the fish wanted the artificials.

Th size is impressive this year. The fish I landed were mostly in the 24-26" range. The biggest was 28" on the quick rod measure. All except one were pretty fresh too. The majority of fish were coming out of the riffles and broken water slots instead of the deep pools and tailouts.

Will probably get out again in early November. Hopefully the water temps are still high enough to keep the fish nice and spunky.

I wish I had more pics, but I've fished alone for the most part and those pics usually suck or require handling that isn't necessarily good for the fish.

First proper fish of the year, lunch routine, loving the new pin rig IMAG0006.jpg

20141023_132520.jpg

20141020_170001.jpg

Haven't been to Brule since last weekend. May have to make it over one more time in late October or November. My uncle fished Monday and Tuesday morning. Reported catching 2 steelhead and 2 lake run browns for a couple hours of fishing each morning. That's all I have to report.

This is a female lake run brown I caught last weekend. Clearly, not spawned out yet. Fat bellied female....

20141017_073245-1_zpsbd67199f.jpeg

Awesome reports and pictures, let's keep them coming! Here is a few from the past few days. I think the centerpin has been a definite advantage with this low clear water. It has allowed us to make long casts and long drag free drifts. Be kind and let's help those new anglers learn that Brule River etiquette. full-38955-50442-kimssteelhead.jpg

full-38955-50443-mysteelhead.jpg

Just joined the site and wanted to share a couple comments.

- Nice looking fish gentleman... and lady. Love the Crimson stripe!

- Been on the river a couple of times this year and fish size has been great. The fish are showing shades of the 2009/2010 season. I've had most of my success avoiding the "normal spots", and instead focusing on the areas above/below these locations that feature a little overhead "chop".

Hope all have a great finish to the year. Look forward to continued convo's.

I went 2 of 4 yesterday and 6 of 10 today - today being a personal best for me on the Brule. Luck played a part in that I had first water advantage at a couple of the money pools where fish pod up. I did manage to get a couple out of some secondary and tertiary lies for the first time which is always satisfying. Most of the fish acted like players taking my egg imitation on the first drift. I had plenty of leapers and hard runners, but the fish didn't have quite the juice they did last week. All the fish were starting to show a little color...no boots yet though. Most fish were in that 22-24 inch range with a handful of skippers and a couple pushing 26. Angler traffic was light for where I was. The water is very clear with a temp in the mid to high 40s.

I had a real nice conversation with an old timer yesterday. He took a seat next to my lunch fire and our conversations occasionally took a pleasant veer from steelhead fishing, but then always came back to steelhead fishing. Turns out we fish the same rivers in Ontario and Michigan. He also knew all about my centerpin rig and it's merits for catching fish, but said that he values tradition, and that to not chuck n duck yarn and bugs on his old multiplier reel would be Bois Brule sacrilege....much respect. I'm 33 right now. If I can be out there fishing hard, with conviction like him at twice my age, then I will have lived a good life!

I'm likely done for the year. Best of luck to everyone. Keep the reports coming.