• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

31 grand for a fishing lure

waterwolff

Question

Someone posted this earlier but it was probable dropped because it contained the link to the certain online auction site. This was a legit sale. For those whom didn't see it the lure was an old Heddon wood plug with a blade at the front and a blade at the back which rotated when the lure was cranked in it appeared to have treble hooks mounted on the sides of the lure this lure was far from mint condition just goes to show one mans trash is another's treasure

9 answers to this question

It's a Heddon Dowagiac Minnow that's circa about 1900 to 1916. I have one that's in great condition and is a "green crackleback" model 150. I know it's worth alot but not 31K!!....T

I too have a couple of lures similar to the one pictured here only green spotted or what ever. My Step-Dad gave me a tackle box of lures that hadn't seen the water in over 40 years and wanted me to see if I could sell them on the garage sale for ten bucks!! I never even knew he had ever wet a line! I was completely shocked to see what was inside that metal box.
He got his ten dollars, but I will be keeping the 40 year old cast-offs until I have a glass case made for them to hang in the den. That little metal tackle box is a treasure chest full of gold as far as I am concerned.
I also got my Dad out in the fish house with me for a few hours this past winter. The fish didn't cooperate until after he left but he told my mom that he might have to get himself one of those four-wheelers. wink.gif Go figure. Just when you thought you knew somebody,huh? I just have to laugh-TROY

T-Pone: the lure in the pic is a little older than yours. i never saw one go for 30 geez but i saw one go for 17geez. yours has gills and the shallow cup hangars. the lure in the pick is a circa 1904-1912 and maybe made by jeanette hawley(heddons daughter). it's a rare color and it may be a floater(without belly wieghts). your lure was made between 1912 and 1916 and it is in great condition.

Thanks Keebo....Nobody I know knows more about antique lures than you do. Hawley? There's a town in Minnesota by that name. Maybe she made it famous huh? 2,200? Still not enough for a good 4 wheeler!.......T