• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help

Question

4 answers to this question

Dan, welcome to the forum. cool.gif

Yours is a really general question that would take a long time to answer in enough detail to do you any good.

Here's some help: You can help yourself on topics a lot if you think of this forum like a library. At the bottom of each board is a list of numbers, increasing from the number 1. Each number is a past page of threads. By clicking on the number, you can go back to see past threads, and many, many questions can be answered this way.

Your question is dealt with on a number of older pages on this Ice Fishing Main board. So, from this message, hit the "back" button, scroll down to the bottom of the Ice Fishing Main board, and you'll find tip-up and quick-strike rig talk on pages 4, 5, 8, 12, 13 and 14 (the really long thread on page 14 titled "quick-strike rigs and tip-ups may be especially helpful). Fourteen pages is as far as I scrolled back through 24 pages looking for your topic. Also, as more threads are established on the boards, the older threads get pushed farther and farther back in the numbered pages, so the pages I mentioned above may not be right by the time you see this post.

Also, try the pike/musky board, and especially the equipment/expert information board, scrolling back to old pages to find your topic.

If you still have questions after browsing the library, post 'em up, and we'll answer them.

Good luck, and have a blast. grin.gif

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-15-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can also hit the search link above and type in tip up.

The equipment Forum is probably one of the better places to ask this question. That is where this is being moved to.

There are many differant preferences on ways to fish tip-ups. I generally only use tip-ups for pike myself. Braided dacron line, 15 lb test, with a quik-strike rig and big sucker monnow or dead-bait.

There is much more detail, but I'm sure more here will be willing to share how they like to use a tip-up.

Thanks Rick, I forgot all about that darn handy "search" feature. blush.gif

I have five tip-ups. One I keep light line on, and use it only for eyes/perch. Four I spool with heavy line. In Wisconsin I can use three lines in winter. So if I'm fishing eyes, I use the light one and splice on 8 feet of 8 lb or 10 lb line on the heavier line on those tip-ups. If I felt like I was rich, I'd get couple more, so I could keep three rigged only with light line and three/four with heavy.

For pike, I just leave the heavy stuff on.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-15-2003).]