Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ice augers

5 posts in this topic

can somebody tell me about manual ice augers?
i am not a fisherman, but my teenage son wants an auger, and most augers I have seen are spiral, but his grandfather (200 miles away) has offered a spoon type auger. how do these spoon types work? are they comparable to a normal spiral auger? thanks

Spoons are a bugger, hard to maintain too. I would use a spud bar and chop before I use one again, I really hated them things.

You can get a very good hand auger for $60 or less. I would recommend them over a spoon, in my experience.

There is nothing wrong with starting a young ice angler out on a good spud bar either. The Jiffy bar is a very good one. The design is efficient and far less work them some I have used in the past.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

If you want the child to enjoy the experience go with the auger. They are a little bit more spendy but he/she will have fun and keep fishing rather than throw the spoon in a corner. Teach a person to fish they eat for life. I applaude you for supporting your son's wholesome hobbies

Yettidad

Years ago - eons ago, before there were spiral or screw augers as we have today, the spoon augers existed. And they worked, still have one in my garage. When I got back in to ice fishing about 5 years ago after a long absence, I got it out and used it.

But - the edge on them critters is critial, they can look sharp, feel sharp, but not cut worth a darn - like mine does now. The first season (after the absence), I had it sharpened, it cut like a dream. Second season - had it back to the same gent for sharpening, and it don't cut any more.

Do as the others suggested - go w/ a chisel or spiral auger - the blue "Mora" augers are about $30.

UG

Try going to a spoting goods store that deals with used equipment, you can pick up an used mora auger for $10-$15. You might find one even cheaper than that! Put some new blades on it and you will be set! ><>
deadeye

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• If you consider the "thugs" as part of the protest group (which DC police even said they weren't, but only intended to do damage) then the answer is yes. The labeling of all because of the actions of a few is something I have and always will disagree with.
    • I clearly stated protest marches and not specifically the womens march. So,knowing that do you still disagree with me?
    • No where yesterday during the woman's march was there violence or racism exhibited. Intolerant towards things Trump wishes to eliminate yes. The damage by vandals occurred on Friday by a group of thugs who had only one purpose in mind and that was to destroy property and create trouble during the inauguration. (DC police even said that and they expected it.) Yes the Woman March did leave garbage to clean up, which can be expected. If you have ever had the experience of cleaning a (female) public restroom you would find out they have a problem with garbage cans. I'm sure most did take their signs with them in the same manner most ice-fisherman take their garbage off the lake with them, but there are some who don't. The top photo is the only one that is of the Woman March.   
    • Can you explain why you feel that way?    
    • I do believe you are out of line with the racist, intolerant, vandals comment.
    • I will slow it down. I did not say you said it was rigged. Your party,however went after Trump for not saying he would accept the election results and then turned around and in large numbers proclaimed they didn't accept the results. I don't expect you to understand the hypocrisy of that but at the same time it's there.   Conjecture. You don't have a single slice of evidence this is the case and you would be wise to retract it because it has no basis. None. Yet even though this is the sort of thing your party is outraged about by the right, you are actually more extreme about it on your side.    While there is direct evidence that the DNC blatantly rigged the Democrat primary in favor of Hillary and committed all manner of things that came out in the Podesta/DNC emails there was no outrage on your side over what they did. Yet you jump on Trump for something that was sold as truth when it was literally the same fake news the Dems have been pushing all cycle.    Considering the contributions that flowed into the Clinton campaign coffers in all manners it would be best to leave that sleeping dog lie.    In the meantime. you might want to take ownership of the mess that the racist, intolerant, vandals that made up the protest marches because you own that.    
    • i always thought they were about identical smoked  
    • Rumor has it they are running a story next week regarding ice fishing and CO. 
    • Looks like one to me. Nice catch  
    • I thought you lefties were against fake news.   Guess not so much anymore.   At least you haven't attacked Barron Trump, yet, unlike your fellow travelers. 
  • Our Sponsors