Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ice augers

5 posts in this topic

can somebody tell me about manual ice augers?
i am not a fisherman, but my teenage son wants an auger, and most augers I have seen are spiral, but his grandfather (200 miles away) has offered a spoon type auger. how do these spoon types work? are they comparable to a normal spiral auger? thanks

Spoons are a bugger, hard to maintain too. I would use a spud bar and chop before I use one again, I really hated them things.

You can get a very good hand auger for $60 or less. I would recommend them over a spoon, in my experience.

There is nothing wrong with starting a young ice angler out on a good spud bar either. The Jiffy bar is a very good one. The design is efficient and far less work them some I have used in the past.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

If you want the child to enjoy the experience go with the auger. They are a little bit more spendy but he/she will have fun and keep fishing rather than throw the spoon in a corner. Teach a person to fish they eat for life. I applaude you for supporting your son's wholesome hobbies

Yettidad

Years ago - eons ago, before there were spiral or screw augers as we have today, the spoon augers existed. And they worked, still have one in my garage. When I got back in to ice fishing about 5 years ago after a long absence, I got it out and used it.

But - the edge on them critters is critial, they can look sharp, feel sharp, but not cut worth a darn - like mine does now. The first season (after the absence), I had it sharpened, it cut like a dream. Second season - had it back to the same gent for sharpening, and it don't cut any more.

Do as the others suggested - go w/ a chisel or spiral auger - the blue "Mora" augers are about $30.

UG

Try going to a spoting goods store that deals with used equipment, you can pick up an used mora auger for $10-$15. You might find one even cheaper than that! Put some new blades on it and you will be set! ><>
deadeye