• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northland Airplane jigs

lakevet

Question

Hey guys, any tips on using airplanes for eyes, crappies & perch? How do you jig them, what type of meat do you put on them, etc.Done alot of jigging rap fishing being a finlander but just got into the airplane jigs.

4 answers to this question

Ahhh, the airplane/flyer type jigs, the past couple winters if I don't have an AE on it's one of these bad boys! Live/frozen/salted shiner hooked thru the mouth and back up behind the head as far as you can get it. Experiment with different jigging motions till you figure out what they want. Hang it still for a bit, drop it to the bottom and let it lay for a bit....the fish will let you know depending on their mood. My biggest winter Wally last year and my biggest so far this year came on one of these. I would'nt go onto LOTW without a selection of these babies. I SWEAR BY THEM!!!! If I had to pick one lure for winter Walleye fishing on LOTW it would probably be one of these, with the AE jr. a close second....very close.

Fisky

Fisky

Great info.
Do you use a stinger at all? I tend to tinker with lures, do you clip or bend the wings? Do you try to get em to circle wide or are they good "out of the box"? And how aggressive can you jig them? 1-2 feet up at a time?

Thanks

Lakevet

1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 ouncers are what I use up here anyways for Wally's. Usually I have the smaller ones going as the sink/circle rate is slower. I also use them Pike fishing occasionally, for this I use the bigger ones with the bucktail on them.

These are great lures on LOTW, jig down near bottom and then when those nice suspended fish come thru high you crank up to the fish, hang it there and they usually smack it.