• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

paddlefish snagging season? really?

Paddlefish Snagging Season Opens May 1

Quote:
North Dakota’s paddlefish snagging season opens May 1 and is scheduled to continue through the end of the month. However, depending on the overall harvest, an early in-season closure may occur with a 36-hour notice issued by the state Game and Fish Department.

Legal snagging hours are from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. One tag per snagger will be issued. Snagging is legal in all areas of the Yellowstone River in North Dakota, and in the area of the Missouri River lying west of the U.S. Highway 85 bridge to the Montana border, excluding that portion from the pipeline crossing (river mile 1,577) downstream to the upper end of the Lewis and Clark Wildlife Management Area (river mile 1,565).

Mandatory harvest of all snagged paddlefish is required on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. On these days, all paddlefish caught must be tagged immediately.

River Monsters with no teeth

Normally by now I have hit the water several times. I remember last season we were on the river at Washburn and enjoying sunny days with fantastic catches. This morning it is 25 with snow falling. The older I get the more I like numbers somewhere between 55 and 75. Washburn feels 40 degrees away yet. Fact is the boat is still in hiding hoping to escape spring ice.

ND Live will kick off on Thursday the 28th of this month. Tune in to am 550 Bismarck or am 660 Williston for the live reports. Starting May 1 Paddlefish season opens with plenty of water flowing to attract a big spawn.

Last season a new state record was set by Alex Mergan, a teenager from SD. The one day I was there a lucky fisherman drove over from New Rockford, made one cast and winched in 100 pounds of fish. I made my customary 700 arm wrenching casts for, ya you guessed it, nothing.

Before you jump in the truck you should know some things about what you are getting into. So let’s get started. First step is to answer this question. What does Paddlefish season and the IRS have in common? If your answer was staggering regulations go ahead and load your gear. If you missed question 1 better keep on reading.

This is a summary, for the whole load head over to ND Game and Fish for details.

Season opens May 1 and you’re gonna need a special tag. This is big game fishing so just like deer you gotta tag your critter. You can get tags in the Williston area. Mondays and Tuesdays you can fish but cant keep’em. Rest of the week you can fish but cant throw’em back. Now do you see why if you missed question 1 ……read on?

You can’t fish before 8am and plan on being in bed early as 10 pm is lights out. Actually I think 8 would be better as that is closer to my bed time. The river section that is open to snagging is limited and confusing if you’re not from the area. If you make the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri your destination you will be safe.

If you hook a fish and get tired don’t let anyone help you or you are in trouble. Some areas you can gaff a fish to haul it in, other areas you can’t. Once your fish is cut up be sure to keep the back fin with the tag still attached.

You snag these guys as they don’t like a big meal, at least not in one bite. I guess they like zooplankton, tiny little critters. No more than one hook to a line. Keep it on shore as fishing from a boat is illegal! Season can be closed anytime during the season. It’s called an “in-season” closure, go figure. No, you ani’t gettn your money back so be warned. Don’t cost that much anyway.

You’re gonna need some big game equipment. Lots of fishermen use 10-12 foot rods spooled with 30-80 # mono. Andy from Scenic Sports said the most popular set up is a 5 oz weight, 10/0 treble on 30 lb mono. Remember to check your drag tension. You will not have time to adjust if you hook the big one.

Now to the good stuff. It is an absolute riot. Truly the closest thing to Big Game Fishing we have in ND. It is mud, rain, snow, cold, wet, absolute adventure. They say turn-around is fair play and I give the paddlefish a 10 on fight. When is the last time you hooked into a fish that pulled you in. See ya there.

Season opens today but due to an incredible winter storm. I'm guessing things are a little slow. I'm working at the confluence this season for North Star Caviar. My job is to haul fishermen accross the river to some great fishing. Tuff job I know but don't feel too sorry for me. I actually get paid for it. Hope you can make it out. I actually tried to get there yesterday but got hung up in a major storm.

I dont expect the season to really get going until mid May. I know that in the past it has been all but over opening weekend but conditions are vastly different this year. If you havent seen it yet take some time to watch the video taken at the confluence last season.

Best if viewed in HD

More videos at HSOshow.com™

Rescued in Ray

It all started with the weather forecast. I rely too heavily on their predictions. It’s the result of their good forecasting of wind. Wind on Sakakawea is of primary concern and I don’t hit the water without checking direction and speed. It’s step 1 in planning a fishing trip. I depend on it.

I made a run over to Williston on Friday and set up a trailer. I’ll be living at the confluence for the next month helping with the Paddlefish season. On the return trip the radio weatherman called for a couple of inches of slushy snow for Saturday. I can live with that as Minot was set to get 4 to 8.

Saturday morning and I’m trying to decide what to do. The storm is predicted to hit at 10 am with winds over 30. In fact winds over 50 and gusts to 60. I decide to hook up the boat and hit the road right away. There is still time to get a good head start before the worst hits. Work begins at the confluence early Sunday morning with the Paddlefish opener.

At the last minute I asked the boys to join me as I’m only on for one day and then back home for two days off. Fast trip and should be fun as the storm is predicted to blow through and Sunday’s weather is looking nice, 50’s with light winds.

West we go loaded with gear and excitement. That “can’t wait to get there” anticipation cooled slightly when freezing rain hit 10 miles out of Minot. Next to take a bite out of the eagerness was sideways at 70 on the Berthold overpass with the boat trying to pass us. Geez, I hate ice and wind.

First warning past and the next dead ahead. Thankfully the trailer they were pulling unhooked before it flipped and landed in a slough to slowly settle to the bottom. We stopped and everyone is fine. Back on the road with 4 wheel drive engaged. Texas shoots past us in a White Chevy and I think to myself, “He is pushing the limit pretty hard.”

We made Ross and it is still just a bad day. That is until I stopped to take a picture. My introduction to 50 mph winds is instant. Given opportunity is will literally blow you across the highway ice and leave you in the ditch, exactly what is happening to our little boat. Every couple of minutes a gust grabs our Lund and wrestle her into the other lane.

White Earth valley is just that. In fact I commented, that’s why they call it White Earth. I had no idea we had been driving in moderately calm conditions so far. The wind picked up another 10 to 20 mph with blinding snow tossed in to test the resolve. The White Earth rest stop looks like a good idea.

Soon as I stopped I make a call to Andy at Scenic Sports in Williston. “Don’t even try it,” is Andy’s quick reply. “I just drove 3 miles in this stuff and if someone offered me a thousand dollars to do it again I would tell them to go to hell!” Andy said power in Williston is out and the storm is racking the city. That explains why all I get is static when I check weather from KEYZ Country 660.

A Chevy load of paddlefish fishermen are just gett’n ready to leave the rest area. I run up and ask if they are headed to Williston. “Yep.” “Would you consider traveling together?” “Yep.” They show me the radar on the cell phone and it looked like we could sneak through. We exchanged cell numbers and decided to try it as a team. I’m to lead and they will bring up the rear.

Up the west side of White Earth valley, visibility is gett’n short. Before long speed is down to 30 and I’m struggling to see. We hit Tioga at 20 mph and that is10 mph too fast. Someone plowed Hwy 40 and conveniently left a 3 foot pile across Hwy 2. We hit it at 25 and almost passed the shuttle on launch velocity. Thanks pal. A check with our team bringing up the rear said they didn’t see anything fly out of the boat.

By now it is obvious that Andy was right when he said “turn around and head back.” My thought then was, “Turn back into what we just came through, no way.” 10 miles to Ray, if we make it I plan to stop at the Cenex and wait it out.

I’m following a Dodge with his hazards on trying to keep track of both him and the highway. By now it is zero visibility and I’m constantly losing track of both the road and the lights to the front. We are down to 10 mph and by the time I see the Dodge in front of me it is all but too late. Brakes locked I slide into home less than a foot from his bumper.

I decide to delegate tasks and Levi is to watch for brake lights and my job is to look down and keep track of the road. By now we are tracking mile markers so we have something to give 911. Totally disoriented. You would think that at 10 mph you can’t possibly hit a truck in front of you. Inches is how the space would be measured between me and the Dodge. Stopped on the highway again, I tell the boys to brace their heads against the back of the seat for the likely rear end jar.

We have been on high alert since Tioga for over an hour and still no Ray. It’s been a long 10 miles and we have no idea where we are in relation to our goal. A high hill to our right blocks some wind and we have an area of incredible visibility, over 50 feet. There sits Texas in the ditch smoking a cigar. Looks like he just drove her in to get off the road and called it quits. Smart!

Mile markers are in the low 50’s and we know we gotta be gett’n close. “Ray Churches Welcomes You” sign flickers in the whiteout. Thank you very much. I park in front of the Cenex with dozens of other rigs. My partners decide to push on to Williston; I’ve had all I can take for one day.

We make the 50 yard walk to the Cenex to be greeted by locked doors. Power is out but even so how can you lock your doors to all the stranded folks? One guy in a Charger is stuck at the pumps with his gas light on. I give him my cell number in case it gets serious.

We dig some food out of the cooler and relax to the sounds of gale force wind and snow. I tune into 660 KEYZ to static. Still no power. Let’s try KFYR out of Bismarck. Todd is just giving the road reports and at the end mentions if anyone has an update on conditions to call in. I’m thinking No Travel Advised is the understatement of the century. Folks need to know how bad it is out here.

Todd answers and puts me on live for my two cents worth of road conditions. Actually he gets the whole load, more than he wanted, I’m sure. I hang up with Todd and the phone rings. “I just heard you on the radio, want to come over to the house and wait it out?” Merch and I have only met once when he brought a deer into the taxidermy shop but he remembers, has my number and is all hospitality. Rescued in Ray.

We pass the afternoon with stories and a trip back to Cenex to see if everyone is ok. Merch makes a few calls and looks like the firemen are gett’n an emergency shelter open for folks. I feel better as it’s a bit uncomfortable being safe when you know others are not as well off.

Supper is BBQ deer sausage on the outdoor grill. Merch is coming in from the cook shack (garage) with a plate full of sweetly grilled venison when he goes out for a long pass, lands on his chest and spreads sausage sliding to a stop in dog hair. A quick paper towel cleaning and we go to it. Excellent.

The call from work has Merch heading out to work, first right in town and then off to Williston with a generator. Gotta keep them phone lines working. We spend the night at his house with no distractions except the coolness. 58 degrees for the inside overnight low, not bad for 24 hours of no heat.

At 6:30 I call reveille and retreat in the same note. Wind is down to 20-30 and visibility is back to a normal winter day in ND. Top speed is 30 due to the ruff ice. We pass plenty who weren’t as lucky as us, some with flashers still blinking. Power lines are snapped off everywhere. Still no power in Williston, as I give one more try on the radio.

Stanley is an hour out of Minot. We stop at the Cenex. Looks like no power in Stanley either. They must have generators going as folks are buying goodies but no one is gassing up. The overpass where we were first introduced to the winter storm is just behind us and looks like Berthold has power.

I call home and put in a request for breakfast, arrival time 8:30 am, exactly 24 hours since we left for Williston. We didn’t make the confluence. I didn’t make it to work. I’m not disappointed. Safe at home and grateful. Thanks Merch, Thanks Lord.

May 10

I predict an early closure by the Game and Fish director. We get a 36 hour notice and go right into a 7 day catch and release period if you still have an unused tag. How early depends on how quickly we approach the 1000 fish quota. Today is snag and release. Wednesday we are back to snag and catch with a season total of 569. Keep in mind if you have used your tag this special season is not for you. You must have a tag to snag.

Early closure will be announced by a special news release from the Game and Fish

If the harvest season closes early, snag-and-release will be allowed for up to seven days immediately following the harvest closure, but not to extend beyond May 31.

Special boundaries are set for the extended snag and release. North shore at the confluence from the ramp east for half a mile. South shore of the confluence and east one half mile. Remember no gaff on snag and release. The idea is to get these fish back safely so they can spawn.

Montana season opens this weekend so if you have yet to get your fill of outdoor wrestling head west.

May 9

Sunday brought in the biggest numbers of paddlefish to date. 89 fish were tagged, bringing the total to 569. Big fish of the day was 95 pounds. Monday and Tuesday are catch and release so those numbers won’t change for the next few days. Caleb casts only 3 times before snagging into a 75 pounder. Mike from Idaho was mighty pleased with his 90 pound paddlefish. A family of three all got to take one home, and Wade almost got the day’s big fish with this 94, got bumped by 1 #. If you were planning to come up next weekend you may want to change your plans and come Wednesday as the tag limit may be filled before then. A fishing tip to consider while you are preparing: bring way more hooks and weights than you think you need, spool on fresh line and always set your drag before you make that first cast. Hope to see you Wednesday!

May 8

Weekend weather continues to be favorable for lining the banks of the Yellowstone and Missouri, paddlefish equipment in hand. This is “big game” fishing at its best. People are coming from all over to try their hand, like Ryan from Canada who caught a 74 pound female yesterday. Today is the last day to tag paddlefish until Wednesday but you can still come for the big pursuit on Monday and Tuesday, only it is catch and release. Fish totals for the week are at 480. Saturday, May 7, 163 paddlefish were tagged with large fish of the day being a 100 pounder caught by one of our youth. The 112 pounder caught Wednesday still holds the 2011 season record. The water levels are continuing to drop slowly and fishing is excellent. Happy Mother’s Day to any of you Mothers out there. Hope you catch a big one!

Noon Update:

It was a little slower morning with 25 being brought in, bringing the total to 505. Jade gets big fish of the day by hauling in a 90 pounder. Hunter had his first experience snagging into one of these unique fish and Justin takes away all our excuses, as he brings one in while on crutches. Mike and Nate made it over from Grand Forks and got a double. Remember to look for me in the red Lund if you need a ride to a good spot across the river. You know how the saying goes “the fish are always bigger on the other side,” or something like that.

May 7

The daily total of paddlefish being caught continues to be between 60 and 70. Big fish yesterday weighed in at 111 pounds and was 71 inches. Our youth continue to shine as Bryce, age 12, battled it out with one to match his size, a whopping 89 pounder. Rain was off and on but didn’t slow down the fisherman. Justin, from Hay Springs, NE is taking one home and Jason snagged into this paddlefish up the Yelowstone. Most fish are being caught near the Sundheim pump house while the Confluence is very slow. Water temps this morning are at 50. Water levels are dropping fast and the current is changing quickly. Tomorrow is the last day to be able to tag one until Wednesday. Monday and Tuesday are catch and release days.

Noon Update:

The weather is beautiful today and lots of 80 plus fish are being caught. My “kid spot” just produced the big fish so far today, Josh from Velva, another first-timer, reeled her in and she was a 100 pounder. Going after the paddlefish isn’t very glamorous, however. It is more akin to mud wrestling. As of 12:30 pm 68 fish have been weighed.

May 6

With sunny skies and temps in the upper 60’s paddlefish enthusiasts lined the banks in hopes of a big one. Steve had his hope fulfilled when he snagged into a 98 pound female filled with 18 pounds of caviar. You can’t beat that for your first paddlefish! 60 fish were weighed in yesterday which included several 30 pound males and 65-80 pound females. It may not be as sunny today but the fish are still there waiting to be snagged so come on out to the Confluence and join in the fun! Be sure to check back later for more info.

Noon Update:

43 fish were caught this morning including several big fish and smaller males. Big fish of the morning was Marlin’s 88 pounder but a 97 topped that just after noon. Water levels are dropping quickly so fish numbers are on the rise. Current weather conditions at the confluence are rainy, windy, and thunderstorms look to be making an appearance throughout the afternoon, so come prepared.

Afternoon report:

Lots more fish being brought in like an awesome snag by Bruce (age 13), his first one ever and a 89 pounder at that!

May 5

At the Confluence 65 fish were caught yesterday with a season total of just over 100. Big fish so far weighed in at 112 lbs and was caught at Sundheim Park. Going after the paddlefish is more than just statistics, however. It is another beautiful day on the river and water temp is up to 50.1 degrees and with the sun, should continue to warm. Check back later for more highlights and pictures as the day progresses.

Noon Update:

Some awesome paddlefish are being brought in. Check out this boat load of fish I hauled back to the cleaning station. Darrell cranked in an 80 pounder. The most fun story of the morning though is Austin (age 11) who weighs a mere 71 pounds himself, snagged into a 64 pound beauty! Way to go Austin.

May 4

Paddlefish snagging opened at 8 am today. Water temp is at 49.9 degrees. One of the first paddlefish caught, a 61 pounder.

Noon Update: Confluence

Fish Caught: 13

Big Fish: 49 in girth, 69 in long, 112 lbs

Paddlefish Snagging Season Closed to Additional Harvest

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department announced today that the state's 2011 paddlefish snagging harvest season has been closed to protect the paddlefish population level.

The 2010-12 fishing proclamation allows for the Game and Fish Department director to close the snagging season early if it appears more than 1,000 paddlefish will be harvested. If the season had remained open through the intended closing date of May 31, the harvest cap of 1,000 fish would have been exceeded substantially, putting additional pressure on the existing population.

An additional snag-and-release season will run for a seven-day period from Wednesday, May 18 through Tuesday, May 24. Effective Wednesday, May 18 snag-and-release is legal only in that area of the Missouri River starting on the north shore from the Confluence boat ramp then east (downstream) one-half mile, and that area of the Missouri River starting on the south shore from the Confluence with the Yellowstone River then east (downstream) one-half mile. Both areas have boundary signs.

Paddlefish snaggers with an unused paddlefish tag can continue snagging, but must release all fish immediately. Snaggers who already used their tag on a harvested paddlefish are not allowed to participate in the additional snag-and-release period. For potential new snaggers, existing paddlefish tag vendors still have tags available for sale during this additional snag-and-release season.

Paddlefish snagging is allowed only from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (CDT) during each day of the additional seven-day season. No gaffs may be used.

It was a great time, we ended up with 3 between the 5 of us thanks to the help of NDLive(Greg Schoneck) for putting us on the fish! I didn't catch one, but helping the others get theirs in is about as good as filling a tag in my opinion.

80lb female

full-34939-8817-5149.jpg

85lb female

full-34939-8818-5148.jpg

53lb male

full-34939-8819-5142.jpg

May 11

With widespread rain the last 2 days there has been an unbelievable rise in water at the confluence. The river is very muddy and full of floating logs and debris. The fishing dock was unusable last week because it was on dry ground but now you have to walk through a foot of water to get to it. No one is at the confluence this morning but I’ve been told when the logs are floating the paddlefish are running. So, come on out while the going is good and before the 1000 fish limit is reached. Check back later to find out how the day progresses.

Noon Update:

There is a steady stream of logs coming downriver with extremely high water. Many spots that were fishable last week are under water now, but there is much more new territory to be found. Travis didn’t find it a problem as he hooked into a beauty this morning making it his 5th in five years. Numbers brought in were low, a total of 12 so far, but so was the number of fisherman that started out the day.

full-34939-8788-5111.jpg

full-34939-8790-5123.jpg

full-34939-8791-5113.jpg

May 12

The water at the confluence continues to rise at an incredible rate. In the past 2 ½ days the Yellowstone has come up 8 ft and the Missouri 2 ft. This is reaching a historic level. Be careful when you’re out, as there is much for debris coming down river. Wednesday, 31 paddlefish came in including Jesse’s 29 and Levi’s 27 pound males. As they would tell you, nothing beats the experience of landing one for your first time! It was also a great thrill for me because they are my kids. Way to go guys! The largest fish of the day was an 82 pound female bringing our grand total to 600. Only 400 fish to go, so get on out here, the weather is supposed to be great today.

Noon Update:

The Mighty Missouri continues to show off and sends a steady stream of trees down river making it a challenge to navigate. 7 paddlefish made it to the cleaning station this morning, mostly smaller males, with the big fish being a 42 pounder.

full-34939-8792-5114.jpg

full-34939-8793-5115.jpg

May 13

Fish numbers are beginning to pick back up as the rivers are leveling off and slightly dropping. 38 paddlefish were tagged Thursday, with the last and biggest fish of the day being Jim’s 84 pounder. Debris is considerably less and will make navigating the river much easier. Snagging opened at 8:00 this morning and from the confluence boat ramp dock an elderly gentleman made his cast. By 8:02 he had excitedly landed a very nice paddlefish. As you can see, there are lots of fish out there to be caught so come jo

in us for the weekend and some paddlefish adventure.

Noon Update:

More people are lining the banks as the weekend approaches. 11 of them filled their tags this morning bringing the paddlefish total to 649. 2 big females were snagged, the biggest being an 83. The kids were shining this morning. Collin made only 3 casts to bring in his first-ever and Ethan, age 11, caught his second. Build some awesome memories with the kids and get in the action this weekend.

full-34939-8815-5131.jpg

full-34939-8816-5132.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun, but what do you do with them? Guess I just missed it someplace but I have never heard of eating them etc.

Put 'em on the wall? Pan fry with shore lunch batter?

Fact is many people consider them fantastic to eat. I give them an ok compared to walleye but a 10 when smoked. As to the mount. I just checked with a local taxidermist and cost for a replica of a 70-80 pounder is a cool $1,325.00 The bill and skull can be bettle cleaned and are totally wild. You would never expect what is under the skin of a bill. Check out this video on beetles.

More videos at HSOshow.com™

Paddlefish Skull mounted on Walnut

full-34939-8822-paddlefishwalnut.jpg

Slull of our State Record fish caught last season. 130#

full-34939-8821-paddlefish_skull_horz.jp

May 14

Friday turned out some good catches. I had a boat load a couple of times, including this one caught by Cole who is from Devils Lake. 63 paddlefish came into the cleaning station yesterday bringing the total to 702. Big fish of the day came up 10 pounds short of the year’s record at 102. The water is dropping and the fish are running so expect some good numbers today. Check back later to get the latest statistics and pictures.

Noon Update:

What we expect and what we get aren’t always the same. Indications from yesterday pointed to good catches today. So far it has been slow but not for lack of those trying. 10 paddlefish were brought in this morning with big fish being 99 pounds.I have shuttled several people to spots today. The first guy I took out caught one right away but several others are still waiting for their chance. Travis from MN was one of the elite. All predictions aside, you won’t bring one home unless you get out and enjoy the sun today and give it a try.

full-34939-8871-5136.jpg

full-34939-8872-5137.jpg

May 15

Saturday started out as the slowest day of the year yielding only 10 fish by mid morning but ended with a very strong finish bringing the daily total to 70. A 99 pound female took biggest fish of the day. Some were frustrated with the slow catch while others decided to enjoy the day no matter what, like the paddlefish beach babes. Alex persevered for 4 years before bringing in this awesome 80 pounder. Blake, age 14, didn’t have to wait that long for his -first fish, first year. Coming all the way from Idaho, James snagged his first ever and Tyler also got a great 80. The weather is going to be gorgeous today and it is the last snag and tag day until Wednesday, unless they go crazy and we reach the fish limit first. It will be catch and release after that. To find out how close we get in numbers, check back later.

full-34939-8873-5147.jpg

May 16 ~ 2011 Paddlefish season is Closed

Snag and release will continue for today and tomorrow.

Beginning Wednesday you may continue to snag and release for 7 days in a restricted area around the confluence.

On the north shore from the boat ramp east for ½ mile

On the south shore from the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone east for ½ mile

You must still posses your unused tag for this snag and release season

full-34939-8916-5144.jpg