• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it legal to spear the st croix/miss near red wing

7 Tine

just one more question for the experts.i am planning on going down to a buddy of mines place in red wing.he puts his shack out on a bay off of the river,and kills the northern by hook,and some nice ones too.

he sits in less than 4 ft of water,and his camera works well there,so i am considering bringing the portable and the spear.cant find the info i need on the dnr site,thought some one here might know.

thanks in advance

yeah its all on where the Railroad tracks are Im not familiar with red wing but It may be border waters, and you cant spear border waters but if the spot you are referring to is on the minnesota side of the railroad tracks it is legal to spear because then it is considered inland waters. So check where the Minnesota Tracks are in relation to your spot, if its within the Minnesota side and Wisconsin side of the tracks its a no go.

it is on the minnesota side,since it is right by red wing.i will have to check on the railroad track thing.i know the rules around there get a little complex.

i had a dnr co explain it to me a few ago when i first started catfishing by the dam,but i dont remember it all.

i just figured it would be a good spot to set up.the bay fills up with chubs,and the pike come through to feed on them.my buddy sees a lot of them on his camera as well.

Thanks for the help.I just got my question answered,and I only had to talk to 5 different people,at 2 different offices of the dnr-not bad!

The spot my buddy is at is considered border waters,so I am glad I did not go without checking.Guess I will have to catch em by hook and line,what a bummer.

Never thought of that.I think its legal to cut a large hole to fish from,is it not?Half the fun is watching em slide up to the decoy anyhow.maybe I will try that,see if they will bite.

I just thought it would be a good place to try since there are a lot of larger pike.This way I can release them if I want as well.

Thanks for the tips,and I will see how it goes.