• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Equipement Changes

Question

I enjoy reading your thoughts on the bestest and newest. When I think of all I have seen over the past fifty years, it's mind boggling.
Regardless how you feel about B.A.S.S. or Pro Tournaments, we all benefited from it. It gave the manufactures a testing ground like no other. Some companies went along for the ride and some companies, like Berkley, took it to the cutting edge.
I asked myself what I would rank as the best improvement I have seen or used. Electronics?, I remember the first time I took my "Green Box" on the water. Rods?, I remember my jaw dropping with my first cast with my new Lightning Rod. Lures shot out like from a cannon. Reels? no doubt they are improved to works of art. I remember when the first spinning reel came out, more toy then reel.
How about boats, lures or accessories? No doubt.
For me it has to be fishing line. From the old twisted cotton line that soaked water like a sponge, some tried rubbing Bee's wax on it. First Mono that came off the reel like a bed spring and stretch like a rubber band.
I know all of you have your preference and that is the way it should be. For my money Berkley did more to improve fishing line during the early years of BASS, then all the wonders we have seen. I remember the first time I loaded 12# Trimax on a ambassadeur, I thought maybe I should have gotten 20#, this does not look strong enough. I only had reservoirs with flooded timber and stumps to fish when I was home and you had to yank those fish out and Trimax performed better then I had hope. I had one other preference, Royal Bonnyl, loved that on my Walleye reels. New line continues coming out on a annual basis today.
I can only wonder what you young Anglers will see in fifty years.
One thing has not changed, "HOW DO I CATCH FISH"?
Keep up the chatter, I will be reading along
Rooster

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet