• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decorah Area Trout Report

I got out on some trout streams north of Decorah this morning before the rain came, and did pretty well.

This was on one of the small headwater streams with more wild-acting fish. I caught my limit of eaters on small black and silver Rapalas in a couple hours while throwing back quite a few small Brown trout. No large fish today, but it was still nice to be out.

I hoped to hit the Upper Iowa for some smallmouth and walleye, but time did not permit.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There are plenty of trout to be caught overwintering in our streams. Water quality is excellent. Urban ponds are now being stocked, weather permitting.

There are plenty of trout to be caught overwintering in our streams. Streams with good water quality will remain open through this cold weather. Urban ponds are now being stocked, weather permitting.

Trout are being taken in the Decorah area with wooly bugger patterns. Bright flies with white, yellow or red materials are good for rainbows and brookies. Dark olive, brown or black colors have attracted brown trout. Mayfly hatches have been sparse. Urban ponds are now being stocked, weather permitting.

I had some time today, so I headed up to the Decorah area and hit a trout stream before I crossed the border to tend to my deer stands in Minnesota.

Early on (before 8:30 or so) the bite was good on silver and black sinking Rapala. Then the sun started hitting the water, and the bite slowed down. I had one fish to go for my limit at 9:00, and I had to fish 'til almost eleven to get it. Before that, I released a 16" Brown, and a couple others over a foot, along with my eaters.

The streams were low and clear, and if there was a noticeable hatch I didn't see it.