• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tony Dean episode on teaching youth to shoot

ccarlson

Question

A couple years ago I saw a Tony Dean episode where a fellow was demonstrating a technique for teaching youth to shoot an air rifle. It included things like shooting ping pong balls in the grass, aluminum discs in the air etc. It was really good. If I remember correctly the guy had a system or video that he sold. I want to get it but can't find any info on it. I tried e mailing Tony but I don't get a response either on e mail or through his web site posts. I think it may not be getting through for some reason though.

Any info someone may recall or know about this, please help me out. I have a youngster that will be getting an air rifle at Christmas and I'd like them to be able to see this video.
Thanks,
ccarlson

7 answers to this question

ccarlson,I would not recamend shooting any rifle at ping pong balls setting in the grass unless they are up against a good dirt back stop.Same reason I would not shoot aluminum disc's out of the air,that reason is simply that the bullet can and will bounce off the ground or disc .These deflected bullets could hurt someone, or worse.
Recamendation would be to seek out a local firearms safety class first, then take the kid out to a good shooting range with a back stop.Set your targets up , sight in the rifle, and proceed to show the lucky youngster the joys of shooting a fire arm safely.
If you wish to add some visual effects, try filling some milk jugs about 3/4 full with a cap on them.They will explode at impact and won't deflect the bullet.
Good luck and have fun teaching your future hunting partner.
Benny

Thanks Benny but we're talking about a BB gun here. Maybe you misunderstood. Of course the shooting at the ping balls and aluminum discs comes later in the process and you do it an area where you know your foreground. It's no defferent than transfering those skills to the clay target range with a shotgun for example. You really have to see this system to appreciate it. I'm not short on hunting and shooting background so don't worry, it's all legit. Just want responses from someone who can help put me in contact with this gentleman.
thanks,'
ccarlson

Ok, just wanted to be sure the young shooter gets proper training.I do a lot of volintering at a local gun range, so I see many people from the general public ranks that just don't know any thing about handling any type or firearm.
I did not see the epasode you were refering to, I would keep trying Tony's email.This time of year he may be out away from his PC for weeks at a time.If nothing else works try calling the local net work where the show was telivised from.They may have a copy of that epasode to sell.
Also try asking Dave from this forum, he works with a few magazine and net work affiliates around the area.He may have a contact for you to call.
Good luck, Benny

Shooting at an aluminum disc with a bb gun ?? hope he is wearing safty glasses!

Use styrofoam (im a good speller)anything that bb will bounce off is not safe in my book.

A good friend of mine has a lazy eye because of a bb gun shooting at the bottom of a pop can!

http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 12-17-2002).]

Huskminn,
I tried e mailing him through that site several times with no luck. I did get another address that I just tried yesterday. It looks like it could be his home address. Also got the name of the fellow that was featured in the segment. It was Dr. Bob Nelson of Sioux Falls. Hopefully will hear back from Tony soon.
B Sander-- I thought the same thing when I saw the episode. It seemed to work fine when I saw it. I think a light weight stock. But, I would probably substitute the aluminimum disc for foam too. I do have a set of safety glasses included in the gift package for for both the shooter and the little sibling that will want to watch.
Boy, I tell you guys, if you had seen this system he used to teach shooting skills, we would all be using it with our kids. It taught them proper shooting form, instinct shooting, follow through, rhythm, safety, etc. I'll let you all know if I do ever find it.
ccarlson