• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable fishhouse carpeting

Question

Is there a good way to attach carpeting to the floor of a portable fishhouse? I have some leftover carpeting from redoing the inside of my boat and I'd like to put it in my fishhouse. I have a Clam Jr fishhouse, so it has a hard black plastic bottom. It's good quality carpeting, not the two-toned plastic like outdoor carpeting. I'm afraid it'll be difficult to get it to adhere well and I'll have a real mess in my fishhouse. I'm trying to make it so the floor isn't so slippery. Thanks for any ideas!

6 answers to this question

I don't think there would be a easy way short of using a glue wich would permanent for the most part. I put carpet in the first shack I built and it was a big mistake. After having a few pike flop around on the carpet, every time the shack warmed up it stank to high heavan.
I have a clam 6800 and I don't think the floor is slippery at all.
Maybe you could try some of those self adhesive no slip strips that are made for stairs, if it doesn't work it will be easy enough to get off.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Cwmn is right, try these anti slip tapes. You can search them on the internet, or large hardware stores (Menards, etc.), they are black "sandpaper" like material and you will get a lot of traction, I used it on some steps on my boat, and I cannot slip even if I am in water.

Carpet WILL smell, also think how much you'll be cussing when a gig gets stuck in it wink.gif.

I've got a piece of carpet in my portable that I keep from sliding around with double-sided carpet tape. If you don't want the mess (and permanence) of glue, it might work for you depending on the carpet backing. The tape doesn't stick as well to jute-backed stuff, but might to marine ...not sure. Just a thought. One note: the cold can reduce the "stickiness" of it over time, but it's cheap & easy to put new stuff on.

How about a few aluminum pop rivets? The carpet in my Shappell is not glued or taped down, but is held with some sort of fasteners and I've never had a problem with it. The aluminum would be easy to drill out and you could re-use the same holes in your plastic base when replacing the carpet every few years.

I have a couple portables, and after one day out with some snowcover to drag in from outside, the carpet is one stiff, heavy pc of fuzz, why would you want to fasten it in permanently? I like to beable to take them out and dry b4 the next time out. my.02

Try Velcro.

You can get industrial grade Velcro at most craft stores in bulk. As long as the surface is clean and dry when you stick it on your set to stick anything to anything.

If you use carpet your going to want to ge able to remove it from time to time to dry it out.

I have used a rear floor mat from a SUV and stuck Velcro on the back and on the sled, no slip and easy to dooch off if it gets slimmed up. (A salvage yard is handy to find the mats)

What I now like even better is styrofoam as it will not get hooks stuck in it. What I found is carpet always gets a dam hook in it, that ticks me off. Your gear rattles around less, it is lighter, and you soak up no water. Any water you get in the sled will turn to ice and form up in the channels below the foam and you just shake it out or dump it.

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-06-2002).]