• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger question

minneman

Question

any one in the Fargo area know where to find a 2"-3" auger bit that would work for ice? hand type or drill adaptable (cordless of course)
the people that put out the markers for thin ice must use something like this, and I know ive seen the dnr out with a hand type auger for testing O2, so they must be available.??

4 answers to this question

Minneman

You could see if you could locate what woodworkers call a "Forstner" bit. They come in diameters up to 2-3". Be careful though - they aren't recommended for portable drills - more like drill presses.
But on ice you wouldn't have grain or knots to contend with. These will probally be fairly spendy.

You might also look to see what you can find for auger bits and spade bits - specific brand which comes to mind is "Irwin". I have spade bits up to 1 1/2 inches at home.

Still another thought is a old-fashioned
hand-cranked bit and brace, using an adjustable width auger bit.

Can't say that I've ever drilled holes in the ice that small. I suppose it would work if you could keep the amount of friction at a minimum so that the ice doesn't melt as you're trying to cut it.

UG

Don't have an answer, but curious about this too. I always drill a spare hole for my transducer so I don't have to worry about a fish getting tangled, but I don't need an 8-10 hole for a 2" transducer. Is this what you want it for, or something else?