Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason flannigan

Chicken of the woods?

5 posts in this topic

I bought a house in late december and really enjoying the veriety of wildlife and plantlife that this first year is bringing.The question I have is.I have a hen of the woods growing it the back.I've seen them before but never picked them or did anything with them.(Morrels are more my thing).Any sugestions on picking ,eating or storing would be great.

The last time I had one from a friend it was just fried in a little butter and served. It was wonderful. I would suggest eating fresh but maybe someone else has kept them longer.

Yup. Chicken of the woods is bright orange or yellow and grows usually on recently dead Oak trees in a 'shelf' type shape. Some say it tastes like chicken. Also known as a Sulfur Shelf.

Hen of the Woods is usually greyish white/brown and grows on the ground near the base of the tree... looks kinda like a pile of ruffled feathers (like a HEN in the WOODS... hehehehe). Also known as Maitake or Sheepshead.

Apparently, Mr. Flannigan ate something else that prevented posting a clarification.