• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Modified V + prop tunnel + sponsons + standard outbord = ?

Carp-fisher

I'm thinking about buying a boat to mainly use for river fishing--Minnesota, St. Croix, and the Miss. I don't want an outboard jet drive and a River Pro is more money than I probably will be able to spend.

A model I'm interested in is an Alumacraft MV1756 tunnel with the sponsons and maybe a 60 horse Yamaha. I've been told a rig like this could go through 6" of water. Any thoughts on a set up like this? I'm leaning toward a center console but am open to any suggestions... Thanks,

Ben

Ben just from fishing in various boats over the years, this setup will probably be a good fit for you. If you intend of buying something brand new and going with a center counsel, I would suggest moving it as far forward as possible if you have the option. The counsels that sit mid-boat or back are super for driving, but tend to get in the way during the actual fishing time. Especially river fishing.

Also while technically you will be able to go through 6” of water, it is going to be the rogue logs that will cause you the most headaches with a prop, or any other type of propulsion that sits below the hull for that matter. With my prop boat, I really don’t have a lot of issues with the actual dept (most of the time that is). The biggest issue is the mine fields of logs you have to drive through. With a prop boat (even a tunnel) it’s not a matter of if you will hit them, it’s when. Most of the time you are able to bounce over them, especially with an “unlocked” tilt system. Any prop with hydraulic/tilt trim, or one that can’t be ran in free lift mode so that it will hop up when it hits something, scares the bejeezus out of me this time of the year. If you can, I would suggest getting a hydraulic jack plate so that you can lift the motor as well as tilt.

And……even with a motor that will pop up, you can still have major issues. Just a few weeks ago, I hit a log at low speed, and had the log wedge between the prop and the anti-cavitation plate. It kind of sucked it right in. The log won and broke and not only sheared off my prop, but also that entire side of the plate. mad

Don’t let that “ 6” of water” give you a false sense of security.

Having said all that, the boat you mentioned would be a great option for the river, and just be careful and learn the limitations of it and you will be fine. I would be very happy with a tunnel jon/prop.

I run a G3 1756 tunnel with center console and sponsons for my river boat. It has a 50 two stroke Yamaha on it (prop, not jet). The boat has a raised transom on it but I have a four inch jack plate to get the motor further up and back as well. I've had a it a few years now and am still 100% happy with the performance of it. It will run in six inches of water and maybe even a fraction less but like dtro said, the rogue log and rock will find their way into your path. One thing to consider is wiring it up to handle a 36v trolling motor. I put a MinnKota 101 on the front and can go all day into the current. Its a drag adding the weight of four batteries in it but the gain of boat control offset that in my opinion.

A couple of cons I've heard about for the outboard jet are:

1. More expensive, less power

2. Weeds and muck can go into the intake

3. Prop motors typically have more "give", so if you hit a log or a rock the motor would probably bounce up with minimal damage. A dealer who actually sells outboard jets told me that there's basically no give and that if something were hit too hard the entire lower unit would be ripped off.