• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nice Vermillion River Brown Trout

Scudly

It was another beautiful morning. Jenn got up at 3:30 to let the dogs out. My alarm was set for 4:30. I was so excited to go fishing, I could not fall back asleep. Finally after tossing and turning I finally decided to get up at 4:00 and head out the door ASAP. Pitch black out at the bridge, I turned on my flashlight headset and made the half mile trek to my lucky pool. Slowly approaching my pool I get down to the edge of the water, making one slow step at a time like the great blue heron. I was in no hurry. I could barely see where I was going anyway.

In position I ever so slowly open my worm container so it will not make any creaking sounds and scare fish away. I slip on on a fat stout crawler and toss at the beginning of the pool. BAM! Almost instantaneously I catachable sized rainbow hauls off with my worm. Deep hooked, he is one for the frying pan. 5:30 am. Not a bad morning.

Fish are hungry for crawlers today. I was getting nibbles and/or stripped basically every cast. Each time I slowly pick up the line to feel for a fish, wait fifteen seconds, pick up again. Tap tap tap, I set the hook. I caught a dozen redhorse by 7:00 am. A few big splashes. This hole has been good to me in the past. I hooked onto a big trout however was not paying attention and did not get a good hook set. The fish wrapped around a downed tree and the hook came lose. Live and learn. It was my fault as I was busy taking photos of this stupid catchable rainbow, not even worthy of a picture in my opinion. Pay attention Mark!

It was still early. I was running on four plus hours of sleep and one Coke Zero to keep me awake. I need to focus. I ended up slowly reeling in a crayfish that held onto my worm. I switched to a number two hook and threw him out there. Twenty minutes later, no bites. Next I switch back to a crawler and caught some 4" chubs. I threw chub tails out into the center of the pool with a small split and waited. I had a few runs with the chub tails but when I went to set the hook I bait popped out of the fish's mouth. Should I move on?

Patience. This pool has been good to me this summer. I could have moved on but I was sleep deprived, cold, and lazy. I felt like relaxing. I threw the chub tail on and shoved the stub of my pole into the soft cold mud. My rod surged, almost ripped out of the mud from the fish's take. I picked up and ended up snagged on the bottom and had to break the line.

By this time I was discouraged however my gut told me this hole still holds the best potential. This time of year, it is tough trail blazing in eight-foot tall grass and weeds. I switched over to a # 6 Panther Martin all silver. I cast above into the circular pool at the beginning of the run. No take. I next cast to the opposite side in the middle of the run and retrieve across the pool. No take. Next I cast three quarters down from the pool funnel on the opposite side. In the middle of the run the giant lashes out and smacks my spinner. Twenty feet away, I saw the monster take. I thought the take was not solid and played the fish real easy. Right away I got out into the pool and optimized my leverage to the fish, being careful not top muscle too much as I was not certain how well hooked the fish was. The fish made six runs total. Luckily, this pool is huge and I applied the right pressure to keep the trout away from obstructions.

Landed at last. A 21" female brown!!! This is my sixth trout 20" or greater for the 2009 season!

August008.jpg

August007.jpg

August004.jpg

August005.jpg

August002.jpg

August003.jpg

August006.jpg

BEAUTIFUL FISH!!!!

may i ask (roughly) you were?

i tried really hard to get a brown out of the vermillion this year but all i could get was rainbows up to 14"

it was fun but i really wanted a brown.....

one of my friends got a 24" brown while he was pike fishing back in april, so that was pretty cool

I was upstream of HWY 52 on one of the new easement sections. Hope this helps. Once you find a honey hole count on the biggies sticking around. The particular hole is roughly seven feet deep at a corner bend.

if you put in the work on that river to get to a good spot, you can do fairly well. walking a mile thru nasty brush and/or dragging a canoe over logjams will do it for ya, but be prepared for a long day if you do that smile