• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Scale

Maryjl

Question

This year we need to buy a different fish scale. Last fall I caught a real good size northren and the only scale we had was a cheap little deliar. It weighed the fish at 5lbs but I know it was bigger then that. So before I get out fishing this year I'm going to have a good scale. Do you have any ideas for me? Thanks Mary

4 answers to this question

Maryjl,

I don't have a suggestion for another scale, but do have a suggestion about the deliar. If you don't think it is accurate, just check it. You can use tubs of margarine, whole hams, all sorts of pre-weighed food items that tell you if your scale is close.

I suggest this because I was about to buy a new scale last year. Before I did I checked my 20 year old deliar from 3-18 lbs. I found that it was within 1/4 pound throughout this range. Plus or minus 4 oz. is good enough for me.

rvvrat,
Thank You I'm going to do that I'm really curious if it was right or not I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Right now I'm not even sure where its at if its in the boat or in the tackle boxs in the basement but as soon as I come across it I'll check it out, but I still would like to have a better one like one of those digital ones.
Thanks Mary

Maryjl: Berkley has a digital that goes up to 50lbs. I purchased one from Cabela's four years ago and I am extremely satisfied with it. I think it cost me $30-$40, I do not really remember. From other threads I understand you will be stopping there fairly soon. Cabela's is certainly a a great store. Good luck!

I have to agree with DLR I've had the 50lb scale for years and 2 years ago while up in Canada so one caught a #36 muskie and one guy weighed it then I weighed it and we were off by 2 oz his was a brand new Berkeley scale I was happy to see that my Berkeley scale was still accurate after many years of abuse.