• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New HDS backwards compatible with Universal Sonar 1 ???

solbes

Question

I have a MinnKota Universal Sonar 1, model year 2005. I would like to get an HDS5 mounted on the bow and one on the console. Minn Kota doesn't seem to have any updated Universal Sonar 1 charts on their HSOforum. The one I did find was from Bass Pro Shops websites and only lists the older sonar units.

1) Does the HDS 5 work with the US1, and if so which cable?

2) What about the X-50DS working with US1, and if so which cable (cheaper option as the boat came with one)?

BTW, I contacted both MinnKota and Lowrance and haven't gotten any real answers. Figured maybe PerchJerker would know smile

4 answers to this question

For your X-50DS, it should work with Universal Sonar with cable number MKR-US-9.

For an HDS, Minn Kota's official word is that they haven't tried HDS with Universal Sonar version 1 so they don't know if it will work or not. If you want to try it, the cable to use is MKR-US-5. My best guess is that it will probably work, but you might run into some potential headaches like having interference, or not having temperature, etc. I don't know of anyone who has tried an HDS with Universal Sonar version 1 so unfortunately I can't give you a better answer.

BTW, I've talked to Minn Kota about this a couple of times and not got anywhere with them either. I guess we live in a US2 world now laugh

I knew you'd know the answer. Thanks a lot! If the MKR-US-9 works, I may just stick with it. Spend the saved money on a larger console unit or side scan.

Quick follow up question. Does the MK adapter cable supply power to the sonar unit from the trolling battery, or I do I run a separate 12 volt supply? There would have to be a Y connection on the trolling motor side for the latter to be true, which I don't remember. If the power is from the trolling battery, woudn't I get interference?