• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

house breaking 1yr old springer

ironman

I...perhaps foolishly...agreed to do help my buddy out who just got a year old springer. The dog has always been outside. No training what so ever. It's a good, calm dog and I got him sitting the first day. This dog pees more than any creature I've ever seen. It's only been a few days and I still have plenty of pantience. I cant say the same for the old lady. So if anyone has tips to speed up the process she would be grateful.

HAS THE dog been crate trained yet? Maybe start with it - from my experience it helps. Also, I tried the "bell" method - that is when you take your dog outside you ring the bell and have them go to the bathroom.

Use the porta kennel. An older dog same as a puppy would prefer not to Go where it lays.

Marking is a different behavior so is it relieving itself or marking its new territory?

Sometimes No Chew will discourage marking but more often you need to break the habit. On a lead my sleddogs get an advance On By command but you might need a bit more reinforcement. When it goes to mark while on a lead give it a soft tap on the rump, it'll skoot forward forgetting to mark. Combine with On By then should be able to just use the command.

Springers are quick learners.

Thats what I decided to do. Back off and stick with the kennel training. so far so good. The dog doesn't mark its territory at all...its still squating to pee. And the beast also walks while still peeing...not the smartest dog I've ever worked with. But..he does listen well.

The more I work with this dog the more I realize he is kinda "special". Thank goodness its not my dog. He is coming along well with the obedience, but when hes just doing his own thing, its amazing how dumb this dog is. It's hysterical.