• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wood flooring pro's here?

Stratosman

Hey question about tricks to matching up around obstacles when doing wood flooring. I am gonna do about 600 sqft in my own home and have a staircase in the middle of it. Besides measuring and snapping some lines, are there any other tricks to making sure it's matched up on the other side?

Thanks!

Do as Esox Magnum says, measure your room for squareness.

I hardly ever run into a job that's square or the walls are 100% parallel to each other. So that's the reason for a line both directions. You will probably have to adjust to for squareness.

Measure the length of the room and divide it by the width of the boards. That will give you a visial on how small the last board will be. You'll want to adjust so that the first and last board are close to the same. That way the floor will look centered in the room.

But you've got a stair case to go around so you'll want to measure from your starting wall to the stair case and again on the other side of the stair case and the ending wall, so you can adjust so you don't end up with a sliver cut.

I would dry fit around the stair case to make sure everything is good before fastening.

One more thing make sure you acclimate the wood before installing.

Hope this helps.