• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for the Saltist 40

JIGGIN'

Just picked up one of these today and am excited to throw blades with it tomorrow. Picked it up just to throw big blades, go sick of the HSN being so quirky. Anyone with some experience with one? Advice on the learning curve in getting used to it? I hear it is quite a bit different than what I am probably used to. Also, has anyone found a good use for these reels other than just throwing big blades? Thanks for all advice.

They work for anything you need to pick up a lot of line or go fast. I use it for ripping cranks/plastics/swimbaits as well.

#1 tip: Don't throw hard. Make sure it's paired up with a good rod that you can load appropriately for the bait your tossing. There is a TON of line coming off the spool initially and it will backlash.

#2 tip: (which goes with #1) keep your thumb attentive, it needs to be on the ready through the entire cast.

I took 2 casts worth of line off mine, i'm not so worried about the speed as taking the work out of pulling big stuff.

Good luck figuring out which grip works for you, fat cork foregrip works best or building up the foregrip with hockey tape or similar.

I have been fishing with the 30 all season and really like it. I'll fish almost any type of lure with it with out issue. Casting has taken a little getting use to, I don't get monster distance but I'll take the trade off for the speed and ease, which is better I'm sure with the 40. I was turned off with the size of the 40 (I palm my reels) if you can find a comfortable way to hold it you should be good to go.