• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish trap questions

Question

I am looking at buying either the fish trap Guide or Voyager and I have a couple questions to owners of either of these models.

1.) How does the Voyager handle the wind with a single person fishing? It's quite a bit bigger than the Guide which I have used in the past and the Guide behaves rather well in a stiff breeze. On the off chance I can't find someone else to escape from the office, I need to know that I wont be trolling across the lake should mother nature decide to push me around.

2.) This is more general but I would need to strap the Voyager on top of my suv since it's 12 inches longer and will not fit in the back of the vehicle with the seats down. Has anyone had any luck strapping their fish trap on top of their vehicle? Or would this just be bad mojo to do such a thing? The lack of eyelets on the sled would be the first thing to be addressed...

The price difference is about $70 and the Voyager gives me more room to jump around in and set the hook on dem der fishies but the transportation and possible kite-like feature of the Voyager have me in a bit of a fix. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I would not like to have to lash down a unit to the top of my vehicle. It just complicates things alot.

1: you have to worry about it coming undone and falling off. 2: you have to unload when you get home at 11:00 pm 3: theft issues?

I've got my trap stashed in the topper of my toyota all winter. I like to have everything ready to go at a moments notice, and sometimes sneak away for a couple hours, and no ones the wiser. I guess i'd advise against the bigger trap unless you get a vehicle that will accomodate it.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is my motto.

Biggest thing I'd wonder about is how much work it'd be to heft the V up on top the SUV. Seems a pretty heavy unit to be lifting over your head.

And if you usually fish by yourself, the V seems like overkill, unless you have a lot of gear to haul and have a sled/ATV to tow it with or a pickup bed big enough to hold it.

Just my 2c.

Jynx,
I kinda got the same situation. My one man Trap won't fit in my trunk and I can't find a rack. I have a 12 ft. boat and trailer so I just load the Trap in the boat and trailer it to the lake. That way I can still keep my front wheel drive Mazda and don't have to deal with the traction problems of a 2 wheel pick up truck or the expense of a 4 wheel drive.