• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling for northern with upcoming unstable weather?

cjent

Hi all, I will be going over by Webb Lake area (NW Wisconsin)

to troll for northerns. I plan on trolling outside weed edges in 12-20' of water. The question is, the weather is suppose to be a chance of t-storms all the rest of the week, what can I do to optomize my chances of catching fish with this kind of weather (other than rain gear)?

CJ

Loaded question. In the past I've had fantastic luck with catching pike when a front is nearing. I've also learned to generally avoid fishing right before a storm comes through, because it's just not worth the risk of being on the water with lightning. The teenager killed in their front yard in yesterday's storm further reinforces my decision.

I usually don't have much luck after heavy rains or heavy thunderstorms. I fished last night with my brother in law after the heavy rain and we boated only 2 small fish.

I will try to get a little fishing in this weekend, but I'll be keeping close tabs on weather and when it's coming through.

CJ I know trolling is a no no on some wisconsin lakes better check the regs.

The law is it is actually banned statewide except in waters where it is listed as permitted. However, all of Polk, Barron, Rusk, Washburn, Burnett, and Douglas county permit motor trolling (so pretty much all those along the border and north of St. Croix county). He is certainly allowed to troll.