Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonboatjunkie

Spring Lake backwater on Mississippi??

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone recently fished the Spring Lake backwater off of the Mississippi in the SE Metro area? I'm thinking of trying for some catfish there later this week but don't know much about the lake. Is it worth the time? Have the catfish been biting in that area? Can I fish from shore or should I bring my boat? Any information would be helpful! Thanks!!

If youre going to fish from shore, park up top in the county park and walk down.....theres a bench on one of the points...off that point its fairly deep, and a hard bottom...that might be your best bet.

Just fished it on Sun. Spring lake is very shallow with tons of deadheads etc. The boat launch on it is very shallow and sandy. Be careful that you do not get your vehicle stuck. I can not launch my 17 ft Princecraft as it is to shallow to float off the trailer. We didn't catch any cats but got a few carp. We fished amongst the islands and had to walk the boat over sandbars and obstructions. You are close to greycloud Island and the main channel. That is where the big boys lurk. Spring is more of a nursery. Be very careful as most of it is less than 5 ft deep and lotsa of wood.

Mwal

Very shallow in spots..I do very well hitting some log jambs with Chicken Liver for Channel cats. Grey Cloud has slowed down quite a bit in the last couple of weeks. Im still picking up a few Flatheads but nothing to brag about.I will be there in the early morning for another shot..