• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat/motor upgrade

Matt C

I am trading my 06 trophy for an 09. I currently run a F150 (4-stroke), they are selling me and telling me I want the Z200 HPDI vs the 4-stroke F200 due to weight, performance and cost.

Anyone have any insight on the 09 200 HPDI vs a 4-stroke 200 Yamaha?

A buddy has a 200 HPDI on a Skeeter, I think it's an '07 motor. Really nice motor, I like it a lot. I've been in another boat with one a couple of times, that's a little bit older 200 HPDI with a lot more hours on it, and still going strong.

I have a 175 Opti on my boat, also a DFI motor.

For big outboards like that I think DFIs are a better way to go than 4-strokes, especially if you have a 4-stroke kicker for trolling.

With a HPDI vs. a 4-stroke you'll of course have the oil tank in the boat, plus a louder motor. The 200 HPDI seems quieter than my 175 Opti. As long as you're okay with those items, I'd go with the HPDI.

Hope that helps.

Thats does help, thanks PJ.

How does it do trolling? I am not putting a kicker on it yet....wife would have a conniption fit. smile

My F150 on 'low' will do a nice 2.5-2.7 trolling speed, and quiet as a lamb.

A DFI motor should idle down to lower rpms than a 4-stroke motor, but that's only part of the story.

A 200 will have a big prop with a high pitch of probably 21 inches, so the end result of the nice idle from the motor will be a fast trolling speed for the boat due to how far the prop moves the boat with each revolution. The gear ratios in the lower unit will affect it too, but a 200 (whether 4-stroke or DFI) is probably going to troll faster than a 150 due to those factors.

The DFI motor will be louder at idle than a 4-stroke, but I think the HPDI is a pretty quiet motor (compared to my Opti it's quiet).