• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear bait

Not sure what you like to use for bait, but we've always used old fryer grease with oats mixed in with it. The grease is rich enough that they can't eat all of the bait at one visit. Plus they get that grease all over their feet and leave a nice scent trail to your bait. Most restaurants will have it for you if you ask. Good luck!

Agreed on the grease, mixed with the cheapest dog food you can find. They go nuts for it. Cereal and pastries are also good. You can go to gas stations and ask them if you can have there throw outs every day. Some will let you, some won't.

pastries soaked in fryer grease is an awsome combo, I have about 1500 lbs on the ready, no way i'll use that much but it wont go bad either, the grease preserves the pasteries. Cant wait, Boar

There is usually a vending company in any big town. They take back hundreds of pounds of expired food out of the machines, especially on Mondays from the weekend leftovers. I used to fill garbage cans with it out of their dumpster when I was baiting regular. The down side is you have to climb in to get it, and open all the packaging. I usually only took the dry items like burgers, cake, cookies, and left the wet stuff like soup and goulash.

In recent years I found it cheaper and just as effective to bait with corn/oats mix with heavy molasses from the mill. If I buy 500 lbs or more they give me the bulk farm rate which runs around $52 for 500lbs this year. Calf starter with extruded(cooked) soy beans also went very well, but is more expensive. I usually mix it up with some table scraps or grease etc to make it interesting.

I use alot of differant baits but one thing ive used in the past that works well is molasses flavored deer feed. I started adding this to the mix because my deer feeder was constantly being devoured by MR BIGGY.

Cookie dough and bacon greese seems to work for us. We just got ourt supply for the year on Saturday. Nothing like hauling 2000 pounds of bear bait. The season is near. Everytime my garage starts to smell like dough, I get excited.