• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Wheeler Question

blongtin

I have a general question that I hope some of you could help me out with. My father just bought a new Polaris 550. My question is that when he puts it in gear, you have to give it a little gas and then it kicks into gear. And I mean it kicks into gear! I didn't think much when he was telling me but when I tried it I instantly said that wasn't right. We've had two other new machines (one just a year ago) and they didn't do that at all. Is this something that just corrects itself once it's worn in and used a little bit?

The dealer said that they'd take it apart for him, but probably won't have anything to fix. It didn't make sense what they were saying, and we don't want them to take apart a brand new machine with less that 5 miles on it. Plus not have it for about a month. I also just noticed it in Low & High gear...not so much in Reverse.

(I'll tell you what...that throttle on this model has a lot of pop to it as well...she wants to go!)

So what do you guys thing? Thanks for the help.

I'd think maybe just the opposite might be true assuming the idle is suspect? If the idle was too high, the clutch would be closed more and very little rpm change would engage the belt. You wouldn't feel the belt engage but just feel acceleration. If the idle was really low, your clutch would more open and you would have to increase rpms further before the belt engages. This could make it seem like your belt is grabby because as you press the throttle you must first close the clutch on the belt. When it finally contacts the belt it might feel grabby.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I'm guessing that either way, the idle would have to be adjusted, it's not necessarily something that would correct itself when it's broke in a little bit? Is that right?