• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

used or rebuilt lower units

SteveO71

Any body have any experience with used or rebuilt lower units. Have a 90 hp Johnson. The mechanic says prop shaft, pinion gear, and water pump are bad also a small whole in the bullet. Am wondering if it might be cheaper to just get a different lower unit.

Being the housing has a hole, probably cheaper to buy a used, plus you can keep your other one for parts in case you ever have probs again.

If buying a used one, visually inspect the outside of the unit. Pull the drain plug and inspect the lube, especially the first stuff to come out for water, metal shavings, or other junk.

Compare the prices for a used vs rebuilt. If you search C list or post a local want ad you can probably get a better deal than something marked up to full price from a dealer's bone yard.

Good luck,

Steve

I bought a rebuilt lower unit for my 60 hp OMC two years ago.

It was 40% the price of a new one and has performed perfectly.

I bought it from the place in Hackensack over the phone (forgot the name)had it UPSed to the mechanic for $10-15.

Saw it for the first time as they were installing it. Looked good. For what it's worth, that's my experience. Good Luck.

There are a ton of cooked 90 hp Johnson/Evinrude powerheads out there with good lower units. You should be able to pick one of those lower unit up for around $300. Can't imagine you'd have to search on line for more then a couple minutes till you found one. Price out a new prop shaft, pinion gear, water pump assembly, not to mention a seal kit to boot and other miscellaneous parts. No brainer, get a used lower unit. Pull the drain plug and check the oil. If its milky it'll need a seal/O-ring kit. Us that to new found info haggle the price. At the least you'll replace the impeller while its out.