• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel house vs a house on skids

brainard6

Im looking to purchases fish house this winter. I was just wondering why would someone buy a fish house that has skids vs a wheel house. Wouldnt a wheel house be better because easier to move, and if you wanted to go to a different lake, I can just load up and go? Would I be losing something buying a wheel house over a house on skids?

Does anyone know of a good place on Mille Lacs that will service a wheel house? Everything I have seen on different sites. They all talk about houses on skids. If so do you think the service you run about the same cost?

dont know about prices but i go out of barnicles and i have seen them serviceing some of the wheel houses next to me. i have a wheel house but i move it myself. i just buy a year long pass and they are nice guys. i have had a skid house(although not on mille lacs) and the wheel house is 10 times better. they are just so convenient that i can never go back.

Benefits to skid house =

1)can be wider than 8 ft. A lot are 10ft or more. For this reason skid houses are generally larger. 10x20 is a popular size

2)cheaper - no wheels, trailer lights, cranks, or metal frame needed.

If you ever want to move it to another lake don't get a skid house.

I went threw this last year and am still looking into it but a wheel house is the way I'm going.

The thing that sold me was I can us it as a camper in the summer and go to any lake I want.

Sifty

dont know about prices but i go out of barnicles and i have seen them serviceing some of the wheel houses next to me. i have a wheel house but i move it myself. i just buy a year long pass and they are nice guys. i have had a skid house(although not on mille lacs) and the wheel house is 10 times better. they are just so convenient that i can never go back.

Will they plow a spot for you. I dont have a plow on my truck and for what I understand snow can get deep up there.

What service do they offer you. Besides just buying a year long pass. I noticed some places offer to store your house in the summer time. Im not sure if they will do that for a wheel house. I dont understand why not but they just talk about houses on skids.

I got a skid house out of the Red Door on Mille Lacs. I use it as a cabin in the summer and have a full bathroom with shower about a block from me. If you are going to stay at one lake, then go skid, much much cheaper, can be built bigger and the resorts do most of the work.

Wheel houses are nice cause you can go where ever you want with them.

And yes, resorts plow roads, you just have to buy road passes. Our summer storage there has wheeled houses as well. It's under $400 to use as much as you want in the summer. It gives you electricity and bathrooms near buy. Nice setup.

yes they plow spots out for you, although i have never had to have them plow one. you can usally find a good spot to get off the road or old spots. i also like to have alot of snow under my house as it acts as insulation and cuts down on the wind. they have places for summer storage, im not sure if they will hook up to electricity or not you would have to call them. im sure they will store it for you though but it will be more than the winter road pass