• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heading to MT next week!!

I thought I'd let you guys know I'm heading out to MT next week with my wife and girls. Its our first family trip and I can't wait.

We're going to arrive in Big Timber on sunday and we're staying on Spring Creek and then on Monday we're heading to West Glacier to spend the week in Glacier NP.

I'm not a fly fisherman so I'll be relying on my spinning tackle. What would you guys suggest for a some basics to bring along?

Hey PowerStroke,

Just the basic inline Mepps/Panther Martins spinners work in many different colors. The Rivers are running really high right now with all the snow melt coming out of the higher elevations so please use caution and it is recomended that you don't wade fish right now.

If you hit some of the lakes up in Glacier also pack along some slip bobbers & fish with half a crawler on the hook and the girls will have a blast catching trout. Its like catching gills back in MN.

Enjoy the Trip!

Regards,

Chris

Powerstroke,

Interesting, I think I'm headed back thataway to get an "eye" fix. If I can convince my bride I'll be on some Ottertail county water in a week or 2. Chris is correct on how to catch slime rockets........they are far easier to get to bite than walleyes. If the rivers are runnin too high check out some lakes, ponds or res. Everything in Idaho that is moving water is not going to be very fishable for a while. It's normal tho.

Have a ball and report back in.

WD

I do love the mepps inline spinners! In fact my girls bought me a combo pack of inline's for christmas so they will be happy to see me pack it.

If my girls (ages 6 and 8) start catching trout like we catch sunnies, they are gonna have a blast.

Thanks for the warning on the fast water. I will keep the kids away for sure. I don't have any desire to wade into snowmelt water (brrrrrr) but I know the kids can sometimes wander too close.

We leave friday morning. Hopefully I'll have some great things to report when I come back.

Wally-I hope you can make it to MN. We've had a ton of rain in that area lately, but we need it. With our late spring you should still find plenty of walleyes....whether they bite is a different story.