• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me finish my Impeller change out please

eyesonly

I used all the tips here you guys gave and just about finished changing my Impeller out last Night-Very proud of myself as I'm not the most mechanical guy-Every thing went great till it was time to slide the motor back up-after repeated words in your Posts to not forget to have the motor in gear before you start I forgot to put the motor in gear-Now I'm having a heck of a time - I'm assuming I cant get the shaft to line up right and thats why its not going in -Please give me a few more tips on how I can get everything lined up-I'm getting frustrated -motor is a 86 75hp Ev

You can still put it in gear by lifting or lowering the shifting rod. If it's the motor I'm thinking of grab onto the shift rod, and lift up. You should be able to feel it go into gear.

When attaching the lower unit to the powerhead, make sure you have a dab of grease on the teeth of the lower unit gear. Raise the lower unit to the power head. If it doesn't go right together the crankshaft gear and the lower unit gear prolly are not lined up. Simply turn the propeller shaft a tad, while the lower unit is in gear, while applying a little upward pressure on the lower unit. It may take a few times but the lower unit should slide right in when the gears are aligned.

Yep, thats all you have to do. Make sure you go up at the right angle. When boilerguy says a dab of grease on the d-shaft splines, thats all. If you get carried away you can actually hydro-lock it trying to get it on. Good suggestion BG.