• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help me pick a locator

Ridgerunnr

Question

looking to upgrade from my 10 yr old humminbird..NO idea what to choose ..Price IS a factor of course..We fish Walleye, Crappie, Bass. I want something larger than the palm sized itty bitty screen i have and something that shows structure and fish size very well. I DO NOT need a huge screen just an average one will suffice. I'd like to have the GPS option as we fish new water a lot and it would be nice to mark stuff we find. I see stuff with tons of options id never use and worth what my 3500 dollar boat is worth..lol..so help me out..whats a good choice between using it as a wheel chock and whoa glad that check cleared! lol

6 answers to this question

I just recieved my 797 c2i from Profishing. I am so excited to get it on the boat and go scan the Mississippi. They were awsome in shipping it so quickly and the price was a heck of a deal. I had done a lot of research and if you are to be fishing alot of new water this might be a option. Check it out.

Lowrance LMS-522C is what you want. I have never talked to anyone who did not LOVE theirs. It will run you about $649. Sounds like a lot of money but not compared to the majority of GPS units out there. They redesigned their 5" screens so that they are very easy to read even when fishing in super bright sunlight. I can't fish without the GPS now. Mark a spot by simply pressing "Enter" twice and it will bring you within at least 5 feet of it every time. There is also a model with internal GPS called the LMS-522C IGPS. Doesn't cost any extra and no need to drill into the boat and mount the "puck". Only difference is it takes about one minute longer for the GPS to lock on when you first turn on the unit, and might loose the satellites for a split second when passing under a bridge. When I go jigging for walleyes I can turn up the sensitivity and actually watch the fish come up and strike my bait just like a Vexilar would. Great bang for the buck, just my 2 cents.

You just need to buy one before they are gone, as Lowrance has made a new HD line that will be replacing and supposedly "upgrading" some of their models. A few of the guys from the local baitstore and I messed around with one and did NOT like it nearly as much as the old units. Much more confusing layout and the pages all seem to take FOREVER to load. But this might put some of the units like the 522C on sale and you might just be able to save yourself another $50-$100 smile

SORRY, one more post hahaha. That 797 c2i Big Dog talked about is another GREAT looking unit, just haven't had the chance to run it myself yet. Buddy has one and says he is amazed by it. Side imaging is looking to be the new big thing. You will LOVE either.

The bird 797c2si is awesome. I have on e and love it. You can get them on closeout at Perchjerkers (fellow FMer) HSOforum Profishingsupply.com for the same price as the above mentioned lowrance unit. You can't beat that.