Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MWellner

Breeders with Kelloggs lines?

9 posts in this topic

Since Kelloggs isn't want they used to be after Mayo passed, buying from them isn't a option based on what I heard.

So what breeders in MN and surrounding areas have labs with Kelloggs lines?

Please tell us what so nice or important about this line you seek.

Thanks,

Im interested in this as well. I bought a puppy last fall that has kellog on both sides. That isn't the reason I got her but it did help a little. We took her along last fall and she seemed to catch on pretty quickly she even pointed a few which I wasn't expecting to happen so soon.

I new Mayo pretty well. We did business with him in trading pups for printing work. My father and I have had four dogs from him and every one was/is a stud.

My father currently has a male directly from his kennels and is a wonderful dog. Outstanding retriever and pointer. He is a 85 lb yellow male. Flat out great dog and retriever. He had a female just pass away two weeks ago due to age from kelloggs too.

I Have a choc. male thats mother side is basically all kelloggs lines. That is why I got him. He is a machine. Doesn't point but has an unbelievable nose, is super obedient etc and a giant sweetheart. Retrieves hundreds of birds a year. Some have bad things to say about Kelloggs and maybe he wasn't perfect but...his dogs were OUTSTANDING!!

any questions about him or his dogs I may be able to help..as mentioned-got to know him, his mother goldie and his some hugh fairly well.

We have been debating getting all the necessary health clearances for my dad's male to breed him one time. We need one just like him. We have never seen a lab point like he does. Points pheasants while on return with duck in his mouth. Too funny.

I have a pointing lab pup now that goes back to the Kellog black forest and trievan lines that is very smart and easy to train the guy here in mn that breeds this strain is Jr Hines lives over close to brainerd mn his web site is www.mnmaddogkennels.com would check him out if looking for some of the kellog stuff hope this helps.

Hey guys I just bought a pup that is pretty much solid Kellogg lines. I have never trained a pointing lab before and I am curious if you guys have any tips that would help me out? I have had and trained a vizsula so I do have some experience traing a pointer however I was curious if there is anything different that I should be doing.

Dan

We bought a dog a couple of years ago whose sire was out of Majestic Oaks. Looking back into that lineage, I see quite a few Black Forest and Trieven dogs as well. Our dog was also VERY easily trained and intelligent as well. We have been very happy with him.

I have never trained a pointing lab before and I am curious if you guys have any tips that would help me out? I have had and trained a vizsula so I do have some experience traing a pointer however I was curious if there is anything different that I should be doing.

Dan

-Training the Pointing Labrador by Julie Knutson:

This is Julie’s new book that was just released this year and adds much more info than her original book (The Pointing Labrador). This book covers from puppy hood to advanced training. Julie helps the trainer get “into” the dogs head to help understand what the dog is thinking, which no other training material I have come across does. One big thing to note is that this book is not just for “Pointing Labs”. This is a good book for any dogs….with it’s primary focus on retrievers. It runs around $50 and is only available from Julie’s site. This book can be found by a Google search for “gunclub-labs”.