• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Lengths & Lures

Quick question.

Is there any certain length rod that's better for one lure than another? i.e. 6'6" would be ideal for Spinnerbaits over Cranks or 7'0" would be better for Spinnerbaits than Crankbaits? Assuming most people don't have $250+ to buy a "Tube Rod" or "Crank Rod" or "Froggin Rod" from some big name rod makers is there any sort of list out there that sheds some light on what size rod you would use for certain lures? Thanks all!

Right, I pretty much fish Bass so use Medium to Medium Heavy but there are so many rod lengths that St. Croix / Loomis use specific lengths for certain baits. I never really thought that a rod had to be a certain length to throw a certain lure. I use 6'6" and 7's as well for all mine but while perusing the local store yesterday I was looking at rods that were certain lengths and specified rods for certain lures which got me wondering. Thanks for the imput Bbasser

Look at it this way; If a general purpose rod would perform well in most applications, how many rods would you need to buy? Now if you are a rod manufacturer's marketing department, would you promote the one rod idea or would you tout 30 different rods, each for an individual lure type and technique? Put the principle of cognitive dissonance into the equation and you have yourself a money pump.

I don't dispute that special rod configurations work better in certain applications, but I think that the tackle marketeers have gotten a little out of control in specializing money out of our pocketbooks.

Another aspect is how much line you are trying to move on a hookset and how much power you want to generate through the hookset. Longer rods will move more line and generate more power on the hookset, granted the power is there in the blank.