• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ear Infections

Cootz

Just wondering how many of you have problems with your dogs ears? I have a 5 1/2 year old male yellow. I trained him when he was really young not to shake off when he was wet until I told him it was ok. So now he barely shakes off ever. I'm wondering if ear infections are that common or that because I work him a lot in water and that he doesn't shake off like a dog that wasn't trained would if that's causing his frequent infections?

47b4da07b3127ccebdc13ee637280000001610
------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

[This message has been edited by Cootz (edited 04-28-2004).]

Ear infections are more of a problem in Labs because of their hanging ears. They don't allow the air to dry the inner ear very well. My dog gets daily water workouts and I usually put the ear wash you get at a vet in his ears a couple times a week. Just squirt a little in and rub the ear from the outside to work it around, then let him shake it out. Have only had a very mild infection problem once so I think it is helping him out. Good luck.

I have a 2 year old female blacklab that had an infection in both ears last year. The infection almost occured overnight. The vet gave us about three things to use (can not remember what they were right now) and it cleared it up very quickly.

What amazed me about the whole thing was the strength of my dog. She is only 60 lbs, I could hardly hold her down to look in her ears and see why she kept shaking her head. Once we got to the vet it took three techs. and the vet to hold her down.

We have not had a problem since and Maggie spends as much time as she can in the water.