• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow conditions around the Eveleth area?

thorski

I am thinking of taking the family for some trial riding this coming weekend. Does anyone have a report on the snow/trial conditions? It sounds like snow is in the forecast, so this might be a good weekend.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard the further north and east of Eveleth you go, the better it gets. I was hoping to stay in Eveleth and ride to the north or east and back. I have never ridin' in that area before. Any suggestions?

How about the conditions along the north shore (ie. from Two Harbors to G.M.; Gunflint trail, etc)? Any reports in that area? How about a good place to ride out of (hotel)along the north shore? Is Two Harbors a good place to stay or go further up?

Thanks.

Thorski, I was just up this weekend. I went from Marcell to Togo and, pretty much, all points in-between. Trails were AWESOME. I put on 175 miles. If they don't warm-up much, trails should be even better with the snow on the way. I'm guessing the farther north you go from this, the better it will get (Orr and further north). I will be up there this weekend again, if I can make it happen. Good luck.

I was just up around Tower and Ely on the Taconite trail this last Saturday. Trials around there were rideable with bare spots where the sun would it the trail. The Iron Ore trail was awesome and the trial from Babbit to Ely was really nice also. However there was a trail that followed a power line and that one wasnt so good because it was exposed to the sun.

Ran into the DNR groomer that night on the taconite trail. He stopped off and talked to us when we were loading up. He said it would be his last time out for the year UNLESS they got more snow. But more snow and cold temps are on the way and all should be good!!! Just check the DNR HSOforum before heading up there they update it every Thursday.

How about the conditions along the north shore (ie. from Two Harbors to G.M.; Gunflint trail, etc)? Any reports in that area? How about a good place to ride out of (hotel)along the north shore? Is Two Harbors a good place to stay or go further up?

Thanks.

If I were you I would take the time and go up to Silver Bay. Theres alot more trails, scenery, snow, and places to ride to around the Silver Bay area then the Two Harbors area. Silver Bay also has a great hotel with trail access which is a tunnel under HWY 61. The American Inn at Silver Bay. Heres the link: http://www.americinn.com/hotels/MN/SilverBay?checkin=03%2F09%2F2009&rooms=1&adults=1&children=0&corporate=Corporate+Code&promocode=Promo+Code&checkout=03%2F10%2F2009&_rc=&group=Group+Code&travelagent=Travel+Agent+ID

Also some places to ride to are "Wildhurst", a nice bar and pizza: http://www.wildhurstlodge.com/

The "Tressel Inn" a nice bar and grill located on the 5mi down the Tomohawk trail.

Also Finland has some nice places such as "Our Place" bar and grill. And it has 24hr. gas via pay at the pump. Silver Bay of course also has gas.

Also a fun trail to ride is the "Georges Gorge" its hilly with some nice scenery.

Just returned from Orr.

Saturday rode the Arrowhead from Orr to Kabatogama. Trail was in great shape. Good base on the trail yet. Took trail to Crane Lake. A little ruff but very rideable. From Crane we rode down to the VRT and back to Orr. 133 miles. Some bare spots and a lot of icy corners. It would only take a couple inches of fresh snow to make these trails excellent agian.

Sunday we were lazy and trailered over to Kab and rode to Rainy and back. There is some great scenery on the lakes. Never hit any slush at all.

My parents live in the Marcell area. Trails looked to be alright. Intersections need snow bad. This is just from the truck window! A few inches of snow in this area will put riders right back in business.

To bad I'm on call this weekend or I would be back up.

Get out there this weekend as it will be one of the last!

Thanks for all the replies. It was really helpful.

Evidently, everyone has the same idea. All the motels are getting booked up fast. Almost no one has availability (for what I needed)on Saturday night.

Thanks to MNexpoler, I changed my destination and found a place with vacancies! I couldn't get in to the motel he suggested but found a place just down the road a ways that had availability both nights at a GREAT rate! THANK-YOU!

I can't wait.