• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Illinois River Bowfishing

What like to try shooting some of those flying carp this summer and have seen that the Illinois River around Peoria is one of the better spots to shoot

I have a boat with a shooting platform and was wondering if anybody is willing to give up a little info on where would be a good place to start at and what time of the summer would be a good time to go and if a out-of-state licsense is required. Any info would be great, Thank you

I don't bowfish.But what i have heard is it takes a fishing license and the better times are june thur august.But this depends on river conditions ie. high water.Locations Can't help much there.they are everywhere but some areas are probably better.There are a few guys that guide for this and would better know the program. One I have heard of is Chris Brackett or check bowfishing groups.

SneakAttack,

I live across the river from Peoria,I haven't tried bowfishing for them but they always try to jump in my boat.Your best bet is to start below the Peoria Lock n Dam and further south.Above the Peoria Dam, the river starts to widen with to much shallow water to cover.Below the dam the river stays narrow.A good put-in spot would be in Pekin just a mile or so below the dam.shoot me an e-mail and I'll help as much as I can. [email protected]