• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey, I am going to fish the Wisc. opener this year again and was wondering which is usually a better opener lake Yellow or Big sand lake by Siren? Last year I fished Yellow on the opener and got a few fish, but as you remember the weather was crummy and the fishing wasn't that good anywhere.

I have been looking at where to try for opener this year and Big Sand lake looks good, but I have never fished it and I'm looking for some feedback on the lake. I am also considering the Chippewa flowage again, but I seem to do better on that lake later after the water warms a bit. Thanks for any info.

Mainly I will be targeting walleyes, but I like to fish for pike also, esp. when the eyes slow down during the day. I like to target fish when they are active instead of trying to force feed neg. or neutral fish.

If I was going strictly for walleyes, I would definitely go to Yellow over Big Sand. When I fished that area regularly, I never really heard much about Big Sand for walleyes. But that could be a good thing too, it might be more of a secret. I do know that there are some big walleyes taken out of Big Sand every year though.

I used to fish Yellow almost every weekend, but I don't get there much anymore, so my experience extends back from the late 80s to late 90s. But May was always a good month for walleyes before. 3 to 7 feet of water was where you'll likely have the most success. There's quite a few pike in there too and early in the year your chances at some bigger fish is pretty decent.

Yellow can definitely be tough at times. It seems at times that fish are everywhere and everyone is catching fish. And the next day it's a major struggle to even get a bite. It's a tough lake to figure in that regard.

I really can't comment on the fishing on Big Sand too much. My only experience out there is with bass fishing. I've never actually fished for walleyes out there. So hopefully you can get some better input from someone else about that lake. I do know that there are tons and tons of pike out there though. (Again, unless things have changed) They were generally on the small side from my experience, but very easy to catch.

AWH