• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling plates

jiggin' fool

I am nearing the purchase of a 1860 Ranger with a 150 Yammy. I really was reluctant to go with this because I do spend a bit of time each year trolling cranks for walleyes.., and didn't want to plunk out another 3-grand for a kicker. I currently own an 18-foot Lund with a 115-Suzi and I love that motor/boat combo. I can idle down to a bit over 1-mph so trolling is/was a breeze, in fact, I had to give her a bit of juice!!!!!! The dealer I am working with told me he installs trolling plates on a lot of motors and everyone is happy with them. He uses the spring-loaded type and said I would notice nothing when running high-end.

Let me know your thoughts folks!!! Are the trolling plates that good.., or are they yet another piece of junk that causes more problems then they are worth?!?!?!?!?!

I've heard mixed feedback on trolling plates... they work, but too often one forgets about them and shears the roll pin and you're out of luck until you get it replaced... they work, but in somewhat of a band aid type of situation.

Drift Socks to both sides of the boat go a long ways, and I have heard of more people running that way then the trolling plate way.

I'd be tempted to buy the drift socks first and see how they work - if you're not satisfied, then drill holes in your motor and put the plate on.

marine_man

i have a trolling plate on my lund fishermen 1700 with a 110 hp evenrde i love it i can troll down to .5 mph a spring loaded one sounds like a good idea i think they move up as you increase speed by themselves no need to release them when you speed up

I run a rope under the boat between the two bow cleats with two drift socks attached to it. You would not believe the control you gain. It stops the boat from getting blown around and the boat sticks to the water like glue in the rough. I have to give the motor throttle to even get up to 1 mph and that's with a 225! My father had a plate on a previous boat and compared with the dual drift sock system boat control is marginal at best.

A little off topic but you should know that Suzuki has a lower gear ratio in the lower unit than the other brands. This means that you typically run a prop that is 2 pitches higher but at an idle, pitch has less of an affect than the prop rpm. I may not be explaining it well but basically a Suzuki 4-S will usually troll slower than any other brand of engine. The other suggested fixes will work but I'm just trying to prevent you from being disappointed with the new engine. That aside, the F150 is a great running engine but a Suzuki DF150 will troll slower.