• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car Sick

rowdy

I have a 6 month old yellow lab and every time i put her in the back of my pickup in her porta kennel she vomits. I was wondering if this is natural when there this young. It kinda sucks and i feel bad for her every time we go somewhere. It seems like she just does it when we stop and not when we are travling. Any suggestions? I want her to get over it.

My previous dog used to get car sick, so I had to make sure no food and little water before she rode in the car. This might seem silly but where do you put the crate in the back of the truck? I know a guy that had to have the crate up by the cab of the truck, not near the tailgate. Closer to the cab has a lot let force back and forth when you turn corners and such. That might help. Just makes it harder to Load/Unload the dog.

According to my Vet most large breed dogs grow out of this if they have it when they are pups. The dog in my Avatar had this issue and grew out of it. When it's happening it is aggravating to say the least.

You might try taking it for real short trips to get it used to riding and maybe riding in the front once in a while. As it gets better at it then lengthen the trips.

Check with your vet of course but my vet just said to give my dog a dramamine which did help. I think I had to give it a couple hours before we started driving though. It makes the dog lethargic so it wasn't ideal on a hunting trip.

My setter did outgrow it and is fine now.

Check with your own vet regarding dosage etc.

ccarlson