• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice: Lab Purchase

erikh45

I purchased my black female from a small local guy for $150. He has one Male and 2 females he uses for breeding. Good health history and excellent hunters. I also sold 2 males for him to some friends. Thats what i prefer over the big breeders and big price tags. In the end a dog is only as good as the amount of time you spend with it.

Not disrespect to your post as everyone decided whats best for them....but one think I want to point out that "health history" and actually being tested for health issues are two different things. There is a reason that dogs cost more out of bigger breeders (I'm not talking excessively priced puppies) and it's because properly breeding pups and testing for disease costs money. I only mention this because a lot of the adds I read say "great health history" but then you contact the owner and none of the dogs have been tested for anything. They just tell you they have never had an issue....which does not mean much in my book.

That's not to say you can't get a good dog from the guy next door. It's just you increase your chances when buying from a reputable breeder, more so in repeat breedings.

IMO......in the end the pup is only as good as genetics it inherits. Even with the most training in the world if the pup doesn't have it the pup doesn't have it.

yeah i agree with you. I am fortunate to not have had any problems with any of my dogs.

That's always good!!!

And, as much as I (and others) preach about test this and test that and buy from reputable breeders that have health clearances....health issues can and do happen even with the best breeders in the world.

One of my dogs if proof of that.....and that only helps me back my original thoughts on it. I will do anything (pay the extra money do the extra research) to make sure I increase my chances as much as I can to not to have health issues.