• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing the pits question

Selmer

Okay,

I've got access to a private pit in northern Iowa that I fish quite regularly in the summer time. I take lots of bull bluegills and nice largemouth home, I return lots to the lake. I have no trouble catching them in the spring/summer/fall, but when the water gets hard I can't locate them ANYWHERE!!! It's a gravel pit that varies in depth all the way down to 30 feet. The water is crystal, and I mean crystal, clear. I can see my blood word jig 15 feet down with no problem. I'm using UL equipment, 1 lb. test line, small jigs. I've also tried jiggin raps to try to "call" them in from a distance. I know for a fact the pit has big gills, a pile of largemouth, and some big crappies (15"+ that I've caught, and released!) I'm not marking any fish on the Vex, and I can't get anything to come in. I've tried the weed beds where I KNOW they were this last fall, nothing. Any suggestions? Or should I enjoy that I can't catch them here in the winter and use it as an open-water ace in the hole?

Selmer

A couple thoughts...

If you've thoroughly covered the weedbeds inside and out then look at the deeper water. Panfish often suspend over the deep holes in a lake in the winter months. Drill a pile of holes over the deeper water and look for fish on your electronics. They could be in any part of the water colunm.

Good Luck!

ive been able to fish a couple small pits around here. Once you find them it seems they are in the same spot every year. The easist way is at first ice walk around with water and your locator and shoot threw the ice. The ones i find are always suspended over deep water.