• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Cycle/Starting Battery

fasternu

OK, this might be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I bought a 2005 Crestliner this fall, and when taking the batteries out of the boat to put it into storage, I noticed that it had a deep cycle battery that was being used as a starting battery for the big motor. My question is, is it okay to leave it and keep using it this way, or do I need to pony up the money for a starting battery instead? What is the difference between the two? I thought about buying a new starting battery and keeping the deep cycle as a spare for the trolling motor, but was kind of hoping to be able to save that money this year. Thanks in advance for any help.

In a nutshell, starting batteries have more cranking amps than a deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries deliver a lower amperage over a prolonged period of time. Starting batteries need to be charged and stay that way. Deep cycle batteries like to be killed and re-charged.

Having said all that, I use a deep cycle battery for my starting battery, also. My motor is a 70 HP Johnson, and I honestly don't think the high cranking amps are needed for that motor due to it's size. If you're running a 250 HP Merc, I'd definately switch over. If the deep cycle works as a cranking battery, why drop the cash????

You will still want to have another deep cycle battery for running your trolling motor, though.

Boilerguy is right on here...

If you have a higher hp motor, or a fuel injection / direct injected motor, it would be in your best interest to get a starting battery - the higher current draws required by efi / dfi will kill a deep cycle battery pretty quick.

Is a deep cycle a good idea for a starting battery? Maybe not...

Will it do any damage by using it? No...

marine_man