• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scents and mock scrapes before season

Yea its legal. But mock scrapes now are kinda lost cause. But estrus right now is a good way to go. I use to hang waffers out the day before the gun season to keep bucks in the area. It would work some times. I would have scrapes below the waffers in the morning. At some point in the day a buck would come and check them. Best luck I had was with drippers full of code blue. Put them out seven days before the season refill it the first day of the season. I also never did this near my stand I would put my scent at a central location between three to four stands 50 to 100 yards away from the scent location. To avoid to much human scent in that area. Then catch the deer coming and going.

i was just up in camp ripley a week ago and the first night i made 2 "mock" scrapes and hung a scent dripper, like tipup101 said, above one of them. when i went back to that spot the next morning a buck had been there the night before and he made 4 scrapes right around my 2 "mock" scrapes and he completely demolished mine. when i found that spot the first day there had been no sign of bucks in the area, only a nice trail and some fresh droppings. i didnt end up seeing him the next day but i garentee he was in the area. i will definately be making a couple "mock" scrapes this friday for the rifle opener.