• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9.9 Merc Pro Kicker Water Flow

Da Beak

Help!! I'm not getting water flowing out of the hole on my 9.9 kicker. It only has about 10 hours on it. When I fire it up, it seems to run and start well, but there's no water flow. Is there a thermostat in these that needs to warm up before it opens the flow? I ran it yesterday for about 10 min., then shut it down. I didn't want to do any damage to the motor. With only 10 hours on it, I find it hard to believe the impellers bad already.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks!

I'd monitor the engine temp (take the hood off and feel how hot the heads get - if you can't hold your finger on them for a second or two something doesn't seem quite right) while you run the motor. I agree with you, you shouldn't be having problems already.

Have you run the motor in the lake yet?

marine_man

MM,

Yup, ran the motor in the lake a few times.

I did the wire trick in "The Hole" and there was a chunk of mud or something plugging it. I put the muffs on it and fired it up. I let it run for about 10 min. and no water. I had the cover off, so I pulled the hose off of the side of the motor and blew air through it. (Seemed clear) Started it again, and still no water flow. The motor was getting hot so I would think the T-Stat should have opened by then.

Any other thoughts, or should I just bite the bullet and bring it in?

Bob (Aka Da Beak)

Quote:
I did the wire trick in "The Hole" and there was a chunk of mud or something plugging it. I put the muffs on it and fired it up. I let it run for about 10 min. and no water.

I don't have a pro kicker, but my 9.9 Merc 4 stroke will not kick out water with muffs. Under the cavitation plate there is another intake/drain. I need to completely submerge the lower unit into a water filled large bucket/small garbage can for the water pump to work properly. Since you found gunk in the line that may have plugged it up, try that, or bring it to the lake before the dealer (rather than have the boat sit at the dealer for awhile).

With the looks of his boat from his avatar pic, I am pretty sure the dealer will put him in the Priority line for service. You should certainly bring it in and get it taken care of before something worse happens. When I was in Perchjerkers boat, the only way you could tell the Pro Kicker was running was the pee stream coming out and hitting the water. Nice motors.